Exped down sleeping mat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
Has anyone had any experience with the Exped down sleeping mat? Is it for expedition use or backpacking? Looks comfy, Is it?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Is it comfy?Do bushcrafters **** in the woods?
Is it for expedition or backpacking?BOTH

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Probably the comfiest and warmest mat available I'd say, only used mine once since I won it but it was a very good nights sleep from what I can remember.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Kipped on mine for 10 nights cycling John O'Groats to Land's End last summer. Absolutely fantastic, I couldn't recommend it highly enough - its as good as a proper bed.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Had my 9cm one for a few months and I wouldn't be without it now. I've used it in my hammock, tent and bivvy and it's the comfiest sleep I've had in any of them.

I got the chair kit for it recently and it's great too, mega-comfy sitting by the fire :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's a top piece of kit.

I need to get another as I recently traded mine for a knife.

They really are worth the price.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I understand that one of the 'potential' issues with the down over the synthetic is the possible ingress of moisture into the internal chambers and clumping the down together.

Has anyone experienced anything close to this? Anyone noticed any possible drop off in performance / use that may be attributed to this?
I'm not looking for faults , I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced it and under what sort of environmental conditions.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have ditched all my other mats in favour of my Exped Down DLX - the best mat I have ever used in a mammock or on the cold hard ground.
With the integral pump I have found no fall off of performance from damp ingress though I understand that this was an issue with the ones you blew up. Instructions for drying out the down if it does get damp are available on the exped site and I think come with the mat.

See my review of the mat on the Front Page of this site!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Most of my use of my mat has been in the cold wet and decidedly damp, and I have noticed no drop off of performance either.
Mine too has the integral pump, but those I know of who have the older drybag blow up system, have made no comments about any problems either.

cheers,
Toddy

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Like Mary, I've been using mine in the cold and/or wet a lot and have seen no drop in the performance either. Mine has the pump too.

The only problem I've had with it is my dog loves it. She'll lie right next to you and gradually shove you over and off it, been a few times I've woken up on the floor and she's all stretched out and snoring on the mat. Maybe I need to stitch on some straps to hold me on :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Like Mary, I've been using mine in the cold and/or wet a lot and have seen no drop in the performance either. Mine has the pump too.

The only problem I've had with it is my dog loves it. She'll lie right next to you and gradually shove you over and off it, been a few times I've woken up on the floor and she's all stretched out and snoring on the mat. Maybe I need to stitch on some straps to hold me on :D

Good Dog!!! Maybe you need to get her a little mat for herself.

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West

haha that is class!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

I have a canine sleeping nazi too... but unfortunately not an exped mat

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
At the risk of bucking the trend? I have a new 9DLX that I got for the now cancelled artic exped. It's okay- yes it's comfy and warm, but it's bulky and heavy (1.2kg). Not much difference in weight between the 7 and 9, so I went for the 9 but I am too broad for the standard width ones. They take an age to blow up, well compared to flopping out a mat anyway.

People talk about comfort? Yes I want to be comfortable but TBH I'm comfortable with a foam mat. If I want comfort I'd be in a B&B!

If I were buying for the arctic again, I'd probably just use one of my 4 season foam mats and an existing self inflating mat together. Both (together) are lighter that the 9DLX, as comfortable and though much bulkier (foam mat), it can be happily strapped outside the bergen. The foam mat will also totally remove any fears (although it hasn't happened) of puncturing £105 worth of mat. Just my 2p worth.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get mine blown up (integral pump) in just a couple of minutes. The older ones with the fabric tube and the dry bag are, I think, easier tbh, but it's not an issue.

Each to their own :)
I know I'm not going back to a foam mat if I've got a choice :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE