EXOTAC nanoSTRIKER

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got a new piece of kit a few days ago. It's called a nanoSTRIKER and it's made by a company called EXOTAC. It is a small, light-weight, self-contained fire starter.

[video]http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu92/SEUSSDB/EXOTAC/IMG_9831.jpg[/video]

It's smaller than the ferro rods I'm used to but it is the first small ferro rod I've really liked. It might be a bit more difficult to use with gloves on, and it did take me a few tries to get the speed and angle correct for best results with the striker and the mischmetal ferro rod. But after working with it for a while here at home,igniting a few tinder piles, and starting a couple of small fires... I felt comfortable taking it to the woods, and I think it is exactly what I have been waiting on. I have been waiting to find an encapsulated firesteel ever since I had an LMF Scout model completely corrode over after 10 long, sweaty hours in my pants pocket. And these pics were taken after I cleaned it up. My main concern became sweat but I also wondered if ten hours in a sweaty pocket could do that then what would extended immersion in salt water do or long term use in a salt air environment?

PICT0197.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

Another cool thing about the nano striker is that it doesn't matter if you're a minimalist who wants to carry as little as possible...

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

or into carrying a little extra gear... it still fits in really well.

IMG_9840.jpg

These pics show how the parts are separated for use, and for replacement of the threaded ferro rod if and when you wear it down amd need to replace it. The tolerance on the threads is nice and tight so when the ferro rod is threaded in hand tight there is no play or movement at all when using it.

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9913.jpg

IMG_9915.jpg

Here's a quick little video I did of it at home the day I got it.
Oh, and by the way I am working with a sore right forefinger. Where I had gotten a little careless earlier that day.

IMG_9830.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjN3avypjw

Then I went down on the river today and tried it out in the field to see how it would do with natural tinders out in the wind. There is still a bit of ice and snow around in places that don't get as much sun.

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

I picked some English Thistle and some other fluffy seed pods for tinder.

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

Then I gathered some dry dead branches for fuel and did a little firecrafting.

[video=youtube;XRa40xk4oMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRa40xk4oMc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I don't see what's different from a ordinary ferrorod? It's just a case, or?

I never had problems with corrosion on my ferro rod, it's over 9 years old.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

BS I think it's a CNC turned anodised Aircraft spec Alloy holder / handle for a ferro rod...

My Ferro rods ( LMF Army and some cheapo chinese ones) don't like water at all and salt water especially... it corrodes them if they are left damp for a while... I use a Zip lock bag stops em getting wet and can hold a bit of tinder as well... Not a cool to look at as a CNC Alloy gizmo...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Maybe I haven't used mine in salt water enough then. Hmm, I usually have one in a (heavily treated) leather pouch in my pocket. May it is as good as the machined alu tube then? :)

I really don't see the need for aged alu in a thing like this, could probably just be made from plastic (blasphemy!), or varnished wood (double blasphemy!). But I can surely understand the delight in taking out the precision made piece with a nice heft to it, and then start a fire.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
MW
Is there enough 'void' space in the tube to insert a little cotton wool wrapped around the ferro rod?

Yeah, it's a water sealed tube that reverses and becomes the handle.

The one in the pictures above is only one day old... actually it had only been out of the package 10 hours as I took it out of the pack, took it in to show a friend at work, put it in my pocket afterward and found one side of it extremely corroded after work.

... I use a Zip lock bag stops em getting wet and can hold a bit of tinder as well... Not a cool to look at as a CNC Alloy gizmo...

Doesn't offer as much fall protection for ferro rod either, in the hills and crags in my area that is a definite consideration.

Nice little toy you've got there Mistwalker.

Beautiful pictures as usual

Claudiasboris

I like it. and thank you, glad you liked the pics.

MW
Is there enough 'void' space in the tube to insert a little cotton wool wrapped around the ferro rod?

Definitely not, the tolerance is way to tight. I plan to team it up with a MATCHCAP, which I'm about to post, and that awesome Swiss Army soldier knife a great friend was so kind as to send to me :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Doesn't offer as much fall protection for ferro rod either, in the hills and crags in my area that is a definite consideration.

I've never considered my Ferro Rod needed much in the way of fall protection...?? If you stuff a ziplock bag with cotton wool balls for tinder the Ferro Rod is Literally 'wrapped in cotton wool'.

I've only broken 1 ferro rod and that was a very well used LMF Scout and the bit that broke off was useable. All the others are pretty resiliant.

I think your review is good thanks for taking the time...

I've never considered my Ferro Rod needed much in the way of fall protection...?? If you stuff a ziplock bag with cotton wool balls for tinder the Ferro Rod is Literally 'wrapped in cotton wool'.

I've only broken 1 ferro rod and that was a very well used LMF Scout and the bit that broke off was useable. All the others are pretty resiliant.

I think your review is good thanks for taking the time...

Here in my area, and anyone who has seen any of the pics from my Autumn hikes knows this, the terrain can be very treacherous....lot of rocky crags that get covered by debris and there are some steep mountainsides, I've taken spills that have seriously bent some knives.

Thanks glad you liked the review anyway :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Surely there's a point when the level of sophistication and physical size of the striker device gets to the point where a Clipper lighter is regarded as Retro and everyone starts using one of those instead?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice review Mistwalker, looks like a nice bit of kit, I like the protection thats offered from the housing and its a very tidy design.
Great photos by the way, I love the way the water levels decrease leaving the shelf of ice.

All the best.

Surely there's a point when the level of sophistication and physical size of the striker device gets to the point where a Clipper lighter is regarded as Retro and everyone starts using one of those instead?

Well...Clippers aren't available here locally but I always have at least one Bic on me when I hit the woods. They do their job quite nicely and I use them often...but they are nowhere near as much fun :D

Honestly I do get your point though, and even though I want one anyway just to check it out, I sort of feel the same way about the Sparkie from UST. It may as well be a lighter... just has separate single use fuel modules in a sense. I just happen to like the design of the nanostriker for more convenient carry of a back-up or for having in my pocket if starting out unexpectedly from a more urbanized environment.

Nice review Mistwalker, looks like a nice bit of kit, I like the protection thats offered from the housing and its a very tidy design.
Great photos by the way, I love the way the water levels decrease leaving the shelf of ice.

All the best.

Thanks SOAR, after the way that one corroded over so badly due to the sweat I've been wanting a small sealed one very badly so I could have a neck-kit. The summers here can get really hot and muggy and I'll pour sweat on long hikes.

Glad you enjoyed the photos

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I saw one of these in use last weekend,I was very impressed.Mine arrived today and will be put to use this weekend,and tested (played with)in the garden today.A stunning bit of gucci kit.I nearly went for the titanium one(I'm not addicted,honest Ican give it up anytime I want,I'll just weigh it one more time then quit,I'm not an addict....really,I'm not)But an extra £30 to save 2.5g is a bit much even for me.

Thanks guys. I know some people see them as gadgety and geeky and all. To me they are a great for keeping a good firestarter on my person no matter the weather and sweat doesn't get to the rod and hurt it. With the high heat and humidity here in the summer that is a good thing. I have gotten several and gifted some of them The supplied striker works really well (although may take a little practice and i always suggest ordering an extra with the first one at least), but since it is a misch rod if you want to really see some sparks use the spine of an SAK saw.

I don't think the Ti version saves weight. I may be mistaken and need to compare (I have both) I suppose. I think the Ti is heavier but stronger and more durable.

Rob has made a tinder tube extension for it now, I'll try to remember to post pics of the protos I have on hand tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE