Exercise in theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
OK guys, as part of Bearclaw's growth I am planning to open my own authority to regulate 'the craft' in the UK - no only joking. :eek:): :rolmao: :eek:):

I am in the initial stages of planning an expedition which will take me to the Russian steppes via Lapland and Finland.

All this is just a paper exercise at present but I would ask you guys what equipment, clothing, food, luxuries or tools ect you would recommend - anybody having been in these areas any tips on local law. habits, hazards would be appreciated too.

During said expo Bearclaw will cease to run courses but rest assured the trading post will remain open as I am training an assistant to cover it (I hear a big sigh of relief!) :nana:

ANYWAY - your thoughts?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Gary,

I have not been to this area yet but do plan on doing so but a book I have read Running With Raindeer by Roger Took (amazon link below) might be off interest.

This gentleman spent 10 years or so travelling to the Russian Lapland and gives a pretty good picture of that region after the fall of the iron curtain.

If you already have it the sorry for the duplication but if not hope it helps.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9996/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_27_3/026-2285197-4389226

James

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
This might be a rather stupid things to say but i am going to say it! I work in a Outdoors shop in the Cardiff city center (Kudos, i work on sundays and will be working occasional week days come september if any of you Cardiffians want to come say hi) but after my initail training i was somewhat unsure of the advice i was giving customers as it seemed to contradict my knowledge. I found the bushcraft book by mr mears very helpful on things that i was unsure on...coats, bags and sleeping bags.

Just thought it might be worth flicking through on the complete off chance that you might not of, sorry. (!)

Cheers,

Jake

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
From my limited experience in Russia and Ukraine, which I must confess was limited to Moscow, St Petersburg, Dneprodzerzhinsk, Kiev, Krivoi Rog and two or three small towns on the outskirts of Moscow, I think that some important things to take are:

Dollars: a good supply of small denomination US dollars, say $1, $5, and $10 notes, make sure that you get very recent issue notes, in good condition, from yur bank. People can be wary of old notes and of notes in bad condition, for fear of forgeries.

Pharmaceuticals: if you have any sort of condition that requires regular or punctual medication, make sure you have enough to see you through, plus some spare. You can't be sure of getting medecines in small towns. Although in Moscow, you can get absolutely anything you want (and I mean absolutely anything), for a price. But also, some stuff can be useful to trade or give out as presents. Of course, you should make sure that you only take legal stuff, but condoms and contraceptive pills were in demand when I was over there. Medecines that can do no harm if over-used are good, just in case the buyer doesn't understand the dosage...

A few small English/Russian dictionaries might be useful. Langenscheidt publishes a series of dictionaries (in yellow covers), the smallest being about 1.1/2" square. It's a shame that the Langenscheidt dictionaries are so bad compared to the Oxford pocket English/Russian dictionary (in fact, at Uni, Langenscheidt was nick-named "Bag of shite"), because the format is very practical. You're bound to run into people who want to improve their English, so gifts like this always go down well, and you can easily carry around 8 or 12 of these.

Keith.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Jake, no advice is stupid, if I thought I knew it all I wouldn't be asking for advice.

And yes, your right, all such books are a good source of info, although as stated on another thread a book like the Conovers Winter Wilderness Companion is far superior to the type you suggest being aimed at that enviroment and not just a generalisation and in many cases a rather basic one at that.

And, having worked for Woodlore I think I have most of the skills covered in Essential Bushcraft pretty sewn up too.

Having said, that I will still be consulting Mors Kochanski, Richard Graves and Mears as and when needed, I am not fool enough nor egotistical enough to think I knew it all.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Have a look at http://www.siberia.nu
It´s an ongoing expedition wich can give you some ideas and facts how things work in russia. You can also try to contact a norweigan guy called Lars Monsen, he has done a lot of expeditions of this type and can tell you what you will need. You can reach him through his homepage http://www.larsmonsen.no I got one of his books and in it there is kit list for expeditions for 30 days in summer an winter terrain, it´s all in swedish but it will take some since I am going away for 2 weeks.

Lapland or Sápmi or Sámeednam is a big area and goes from Norway, Sweden, Suomi (Finland) and Russia. Are you going to cross it all, will you be doing during the summer or winter or probably wich is most likely :wink:

Tell us more about your expedition and it will be easier to give suggestions on equipment, clothes and so on...

jakunen

Native
One very, very useful tip:
Learn at least a few basic words of Russian. Even if it just things like 'Please', Thank you', 'Toilet', 'Chemists'.
Not only will the locals appreciate your efforts, and generally treat you as a visitor, rather than a tourist, but it can get you out of a few embarrassing situation...
Saying 'toilet' in the local dialect is much less embarrassing than playing charades when you're desperate for a dump...

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Gary said:
During said expo Bearclaw will cease to run courses but rest assured the trading post will remain open as I am training an assistant to cover it (I hear a big sigh of relief!)

Gary. Do you mean you will not be teaching the bearclaw courses or there will no bearclaw courses running?

Any ideas when this is likely to be?

what method of travel are you planning to use up North. Walking 4x4 canoe?

Obviously different approaches need different kit. Is this trip a jolly or with a view to lead paying guests out that way?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Keith - some good stuff there - thanks. Vik, jak and wayne cheers also

Jak I know a far bit of pigeon serbo croat. german and french so I think can communicate - if not I'll drink vodka and then I'm in all languages!!

Wayne - canoe and foot mostly although the distances involved will need wheels but I imagine humping it all on my back so it limits me greatly but that is the idea as the limitation of shanks pony also means I will be doing it for real - no faking it with a hotel out of camera shoot, no road crew and no fall back position.

And as for Bearclaw No Courses. Dont worry the courses already booked will go ahead so your safe!! But it is also my hope that by doing something like this I can bring Bearclaw forward and actually offer people something worth while upon my return.

D-day for this will be end of the summer - if it happens as I say as present its only a paper exercise.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cool, i just thought it would be a point of interest i would assume you knew most if not all of that book. I was serving a customer who was going on an expedition to Kilamanjaro, i told him that i was not 100% confident in giving advice on such a big trip but that i would do my best, and i think the bushcraft book reading seesions paid off! He seemed to know his stuff and our collective knowledge got him the right gear. (i hope).
Sounds like an awsome trip. I am starting to think about things like that know, im going travelling in 2 years so i will be expecting advice!!

Cheers,

Jake

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
There was an article in landrover owner mag about a year ago about some guys who drove across a bit of roadless northern russia.Dont want to raise your hopes but I'll check if I've still got it.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Bob.

Wayne, that would be the ultimate goal, no more soft expedition style camp courses instead - those who can, do - for real!

Remember you heard it hear first!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gary said:
..snip..I know a far bit of pigeon serbo croat. german and french so I think can communicate - if not I'll drink vodka and then I'm in all languages!!..snip..

Serbo-Croat is fairly similar to Russian, but there are some big differences.

Numbers are mostly the same, though the stressed syllable can differ. But that's not a big problem.

Greetings are very similar.
"Good Morning", "Dobro Jutro", in S-C is "Dobroe Utro" in Russian.
"Good Day, "Dobar dan" in S-C is "Dobrii Den'" in Russian... you get the idea.

"Please", "molim vas" in S-C, is "pozhaluista" in Russian. V. different.

I find more similarities between Russian/Ukrainian and S-C than between Russian and the other Slavic languages (Polish, Czech/Slovakian).

As Jakunen pointed out, just making the effort to learn a few basic words and polite phrases make a big impression. Knowing how to swear, and knowing the "fairy water" ritual can make a big impression in the right company. Just don't swear in front of the women, and don't call anybody a wooly woofter, and don't ever, ever, call somebody a "billie goat".

Keith.

jakunen

Native
Even further, the same word, even in Croatian and Serbian, can have slightly different meanings.
A former colleague decided to speak Russian when visiting his father in Slovenia when he was otu there. He offended a lot of people and nearly got stabbed by someone as he got his words mixed up and deeply insulted someone.

Thankfully I've not (yet) made that mistake

And speaking the local language, rather than a 'universal' dialect, gets much better response. For example in Istria (northwest Croatia) I've fpund if you speak German you get really rooked, Russian - rooked, Serbo-Croat - rooked, Italian - fair price, English - good price, Croat - very good price. It's saved me a fortune, and got me a lot of free drinks, by learning at least the very basics of Croatian.

In certain parts of Croatia I am even fairly well known to the locals as I do try to speak their language, love their food and respect their customs.
REALLY want to get back there now. Almost feel homesick...

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Many advices on language but on russian taiga and in lappland (Sapmi) people speak the Sapmi language, if they say anything at all. And I dont think there are many people to talk to wher he is going.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ok I think I will be a deaf, dumb mute - its easier!! Seriously though one of the few good traits I found I had as a soldeir was a ear for language and all advice is welcome although I dont think I have time to learn all the differnet language groups.

Hopefully, people being people, I will manage to get my point across by word, sign or deed we shall see - If I DISAPPEAR OF FTHE FACE OF THE PLANET then you know it didnt work! :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE