European clothing vs. North American clothing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
lately I've been thinking of buying a pair of Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers.
I'm not sure why but to me it looks like I can buy better waterproof clothing on the European side of the pond.

Who uses these trousers, and what do you think of them? are they durable?

can anyone recommend any North American substitutes?

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
I do not own the trousers in question, but do use other G-1000 trousers from Fjällräven.

First of all: nothing waterproof about them. If you treat them with wax they get slightly water resistant but nothing more. The are very durable though and i find mine quite comfortable.

On the other hand I never recommend Fjällraven unless you can find them at a good discount. Good stuff, but overpriced (IMHO)...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...lately I've been thinking of buying a pair of Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers..."

I was a long time customer of Fjallraven, mostly for their Forrester and Greenland trousers, in the past three to five years I have noticed a marked drop in quality, especially when it comes to zips and seams. Perhaps the Vidda trousers are better made? I don't know.

These days I'm mostly wearing 5.11 Taclites, better made and it is a North American company (They are not made there though). :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
After having been told by the Fjallraven PR person that the new retro Rucksacks were "lifestyle" items and not really built for active use, after the prices for everything skyrocketed and after reports came in from a host of sources that quality had dropped I decided not to bother with their kit any more. I used to love it though.
These days I wear a lot of 5.11 gear, especially their shirts, trousers and boots and find them all to be tough , durable , very comfortable and well made.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I believe Helly Hansen wet weather gear is very popular in Alaska - I always thought they were/are European, but stand to be corrected.

I think a portion of the US outdoor clothing market is dominated by the tacticool - styles worn by SF and subsequently SWAT and contractors. Nothing new in fashion picking up on that as fashion here has borrowed little military details for a few hundred years. The epaulette is a classic example, and Raglan sleeves and the Norfolk jacket less so. Lots of jackets now have those big Velcro patches on the arms - something not seen 10 years ago.

Having said that it has developed a lot of very interesting technology- it's just most of us don't really need the ID panels or concealed weapon access. However the US hunting market is huge, and if you look at Cabelas they do some bargain prices on outdoor gear that many really rate. If I am looking at buying outdoor gear and getting it shipped to NZ I look at the US - UK and Europe seem too expensive. (I can't believe the price of a Barbour now - I lived in mine when I was a student !!)

In the spirit of the Special Relationship I will side with my American cousins :) (Always had a soft spot for the Yanks, especially growing up in Germany and going to the PX on the US bases, all those American cars, and strange food on the shelves. Brilliant!)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Arc'teryx is a Canadian company and makes some of the best waterproof clothing around.

It may be good, butdoes quality have to be so expensive. Barbour isnt always made in the home factory though.
HH work wear waterproofs are good for their price.
Postage and customs tax, are the clincher though, when it comes to purchasing clothing.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Some of the US manufacturers loudly proclaim they're made in the US, it would be nice if all companies put their sources front and centre. Come to that Snugpak note which of their gear is UK made.

via Tapatalk mind control.

rg598

Native
It may be good, butdoes quality have to be so expensive. Barbour isnt always made in the home factory though.
HH work wear waterproofs are good for their price.
Postage and customs tax, are the clincher though, when it comes to purchasing clothing.

Arcteryx are certainly expensive, but in my opinion are some of the best. There are many other more reasonably priced brands like Outdoor Research, Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, etc. They all make good rain gear. I'm not sure why the OP doesn't like them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Isn't most of the clothing be it destined for the US or Europe, knocked out in China or Pakistan? Even the top brands have de-localised production..

Or in Mexico. Or Pakistan. To be honest, most of the clothing (or other fabric products) from Mexico are of good quality as far as the workmanship; it's the materials that are suspect. Hence many labels assert "Made in Mexico from US components."

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
I used a lot of Fjall raven gear, since more than 25 years. I like them, first of all, becausse they fit well. But nowadays they have dropped in quality (beware of snaps...) and the prices touch the sky. Better when they were manufactured in baltic states.

They are not waterproof, just water resistant if you put a lot of greenland wax on it (so they are stiff and uncomfortable). G1000 is quite rugged for the weight and windproof but not so much, it is an advantage form my point of view when you move fast (nowadays we could have windsmock of 150g).

Lundhags, another swedish brand, Is as good and certainly other brands who use "polyester/cotton" blend

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Arcteryx are certainly expensive, but in my opinion are some of the best. There are many other more reasonably priced brands like Outdoor Research, Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, etc. They all make good rain gear. I'm not sure why the OP doesn't like them.

There was a time, where i loved visiting the annual sale at the Inverclyde TNF factory. Closed down moved to Belgium though :confused:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Lundhags are amazing! Have a pair of their forest boots and it's on steroids it's so strong, but comfortable too. I personally like Fjallraven, have a pair of Greenland pro trousers and vintage 20l rucksack, both have been used thoroughly and abused a bit, can't comment on what they used to be like but they're good for me! Have not long had the Ovik blanket, wool backed G1000, very good by the looks of it, I'm happy. The Lundhags make similar gear and it's top notch stuff! :)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I do not own the trousers in question, but do use other G-1000 trousers from Fjällräven.

First of all: nothing waterproof about them. If you treat them with wax they get slightly water resistant but nothing more. The are very durable though and i find mine quite comfortable.

On the other hand I never recommend Fjällraven unless you can find them at a good discount. Good stuff, but overpriced (IMHO)...

I own a pair of these and like said are very comfy,
+1 to the rest

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
As an ex-pat American from Colorado that's now living in Britain for 5 years, I feel compelled to speak up. Product design has many elements which effect quality, and very few companies manufacture in-house (the most notable exception might be Frost River packs.) Many of the brands we all know and love, including my US-centric favourites (NorthFace and Patagonia) are manufactured overseas. What clothing companies bring to the table, and what impacts quality the most, are initial product design and specification; material selection; and most importantly, factory selection & production management. No company can prevent stitching problems. These things happen, and the only thing a company can do is to catch them before they hit the market. A company, can, however, be more proactive in choosing a factory, but that process is not a trivial one, and only larger better-funded brands have the development budget to do so. Smaller companies inevitably have problems and are always looking for a better factory.

I for example, count among my bullet-proof kit a NorthFace tent, duffle and water-proof shell; a Patagonia waterproof flyfishing jacket, and a couple of pairs of Asolo boots. Unless the Bad Thing happens, I do not expect to ever replace this gear. Coloradans are notoriously hard on our gear. We ski, fish, hike, camp, raft, cycle and even invent new and crazier things to do in our kit. We're shameless gear-heads, and have no problem spending hundreds of dollars on something that will last a long time.

When I moved to Britain I was stunned to find that despite the global nature of the brands (Patagonia and NorthFace, for example,) there were entirely different products here. I innocently assumed that a gear-head was a gear-head, and that British gear-heads would appreciate and use the same brands and gear that I had. I was surprised to find otherwise. To be fair, I'm rediscovering the beauty of using surplus gear. That stuff is generally built to last and costs much less than their commercial equivalents.

But is European better or worse than North American clothing? I don't think so. I believe that there is a similar variance of quality, price and selection across both markets and the trick is to determine first which market sector you occupy and then to find the brands and products that occupy the same space. I for example, prefer the advantages of long-term quality and prefer to research heavily before forking out a lot of cash for a product that I will never have to replace.

This is all getting too long for one cup of coffee…..

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........When I moved to Britain I was stunned to find that despite the global nature of the brands (Patagonia and NorthFace, for example,) there were entirely different products here. I innocently assumed that a gear-head was a gear-head, and that British gear-heads would appreciate and use the same brands and gear that I had. I was surprised to find otherwise. To be fair, I'm rediscovering the beauty of using surplus gear. That stuff is generally built to last and costs much less than their commercial equivalents. …..

I absolutely am addicted to surplus gear. Now if I find an affordable McClellan saddle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE