eurohike 500 down sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi everyone

this is my first review and at the moment just a mini review as i have only tried this for an hour tonight so will give a full impression after the first full night !

this bag was recommended to me by sandsnakes on this forum when i asked for new bag advice for year round use,cheap and small pack size.
that was back in august and after spotting this in millets sale for £50 delivered i took the plunge and it came this morning.

first impressions were good it has a tiny pack size not much bigger than my summer tesco micro light sleeping bag which is what i wanted.

then i took it out of the compression sack,gave it a good shake and left it for eight hours to let it loft.now the bad bit it seems paper thin and not much thicker than the tesco summer micro light bag,i was worried :(

well i pitched my newly bought brand new tigar paws tent in the garden (already have a orange hike lite one the wife says now must go!!)
stripped to my boxers and got in the bag i put my karrrimor hike lite 4 season self inflating mat underneath,checked temp 0 OC then lay there for an hour with the shoulder baffle pulled tight and hood cord tight.i have to admit i was sweating and was pleased of the slight breeze coming through the tent :D

now the bags rating is -4 comfort -20 extreme so the plan is when really cold to use the tesco micro lite bag as a liner as the two combined only weighs 2 kg and gives greater flexability, on its own the bag weighs 1180 grammes

i will let people know after my first full night what its like as the early hours of the morning is when i always seem to feel the cold worst

all the best andy

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
well had my first night in it last there was a really hard ground frost so i would say at warmest it was -2 and i slept in just boxer shorts i was sweating it was great the warmest ive been in a sleeping bag this time of the year only thing i can complain about is the zip as it got snagged a few times but for £50 you'll be hard pushed to find a better bag

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Good for you mate. I just bought myself a alpkit PD600. Its a great bag and very light. Theyre £170 new but i got mine for £100 but its still a lot.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
cheers mate tbh they are no where near the the quality of alpkit/rab etc hence why there only £50 but i just dont have the money to spend on one of the top makes maybe one day so this one will do nice till then :)

thats a great price for your alpkit bag was that new or used ?

am5566

Dec 11, 2012
scotland
I bought 2 of these bags in a millets closing down sale got them for £40 each.

I went camping with my wife, I had the bag wide open like a blanket over me and the dog. My wife was all wrapped up in hers with just her face shown and fully clothed. All I had on was boxers and a cotton liner and I was sweating, the dog was panting like mad and the wife was complaining about the cold! Can't please everyone ;-)

I don't know what the temp was but we woke up to a thick frost and the loch we were beside was frozen at the edges, so it was below 0.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi pleased you like it for the money you cant beat it for a down bag, you got a real bargain at £40 :)

woman always find something to complain about :lmao:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I bought mine from Millet's website on Sunday for 43 pounds, and I'm pleased with pack size and weight. Will test the warmth as hammock quilt tomorrow night.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm in the fortunate position of being able to buy a brand new Snugpak Elite 3 for about £5 more than the 500. I'm leaning towards the Elite 3. What do you think?

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I'm in the fortunate position of being able to buy a brand new Snugpak Elite 3 for about £5 more than the 500. I'm leaning towards the Elite 3. What do you think?

Snugpak, every time
You can't beat a softie :)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

I've got an elite 3, only do spring to autumn camping, but i frequently find it to warm.

Rob

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've got an elite 3, only do spring to autumn camping, but i frequently find it to warm.

Rob

Cheers mate, I actually have a 5 (I got it for free) so I'm well up on Snugpak (and I get to play with their kit every day at work). I'm just directly sizing up the 3 against the 500. I guess that means I'm hoping their are some dual owners out there?

I am biased towards the 3 as I know the product, it's size and it that it the fact is only minutely heavier but synthetic and as warm if not warmer (on the specs).

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I've just spent over an hour in the garden using my eurohike 500 as top quilt in my hammock. Worked a treat, temp started at 4 degrees and dropped to 0 when I've just left now, and I was still warm. Only issue was with my homemade underworld.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would not spend alot on a down bag mate, they rot and loose loft and need replacing. Anyone who spends 400 quid on a down bag and isn't going to the south pole doesn't have enough vices !

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would not spend alot on a down bag mate, they rot and loose loft and need replacing. Anyone who spends 400 quid on a down bag and isn't going to the south pole doesn't have enough vices !

I dont think its as clear cut as that, you could spend 400 on a down bag that is not suited to the south pole but packs very small. Thru hikers, ultralighters and those on extended trips will often spend big money on down bags as they suit their needs. Down technology has also moved on a good way too and a down bag will last as long as a synthetic if cared for properly.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the eurohike one is small + light + reasonably good value, at £80 usually.

At 1.1kg and -4¤c thats about par. Basically the same as a Rab bag.

So at £40, thats a bargain. When I went to millets they still had them, I would purchase one but I need a 2 metre bag.

I do not know weather they are waterproof.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love my Elite 3 its been a good bag and decent pack size but its getting old now.
The best feature by far is the built in expander panel, great help for the larger folks.
Just bought the Rab ascent 900 for the small pack size, its good but a little on the tight side around my shoulders.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
smalller pack size = higher weight. Avec the cotswold site.

Lightest - mountain hardware
smallest + longest - robens

not much in it though, but eurohike £40 and basically almost the same. They'll still rot, one and all!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
smalller pack size = higher weight. Avec the cotswold site.

Lightest - mountain hardware
smallest + longest - robens

not much in it though, but eurohike £40 and basically almost the same. They'll still rot, one and all!

Im not sure what you are comparing here. Why does smaller pack size = higher weight. Like for like weights of down & synthetic fill will pack to different sizes no?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE