Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All. Im off to Estonia in the spring (end March) and am trying to get my kit list sorted so i can trial it. Have set out below what i have come up with so far but as it will be my first real overseas bushcraft trip i would welcome comments on what is there, what is not and what might be better. Im not aiming for super light. Weather that time of year is difficult to predict and could be anywhere from +10 to -15. Obviously i will check the weather nearer the time but hopefully the list will allow me to cope with whatever comes my way. im still missing a few weights which are mainly on the clothing in the bergen but i will update this when ive had time to weigh stuff.

Ill be getting transport to the Laheema national Park but will be tabbing about from there on

Still need to think about a bear bag so any recommendations would be good

The list.......

Item Name weight

Bergen

Verizon Wolverine Monolith 70 + 2 10l Rocket Pouches 3050
Dry Bag Main 98
Dry Bag Sleeping Bag 55
Dry Bags x 2 for Rockets 160

Shelter

Golit Shangrala 5 Outer Only + Pole 1200

Sleep System

Jerven Thermo king 1900
Western Mountaineering Megalite Down Bag 710
Exped UL Down mat 7LW 600
Helsport Bivvy Shoes 450

Stove

Element 2.2 Ti Wood Burning Stove 141
Civvy Trangia Burner in dry bag 140
Trangia 1l Fuel Bottle 160
1l Fuel on arrival 1000

Pots Pans Brew

Snowpeak 1.4l Ti Pot 210
Alpkit 750 Mug 110
Ti Spork 20
Pot Scourer sponge 10

Admin

DPM Wash Bag 80
Lifeventure Soap 125
Toothbrush & Paste 100
Microfiber Cloth x 2 50
Microfiber Towel 200
Ortlieb Shower Attachment 10
Foot powder 150
Ipood Trowel 100
Mirror 22
Tick Tweezer 10
Bog Roll 50
Wipes 100

FAK 200

Possibles Bag snugpak Response Pack 440

Contents
eGear EQ2 Head Torch 26
Exotac Nanostriker 18
Quantum DD Torch 18
Small Alox SAK 16
peanut lighter 26
Tinder Card 100
Lummi Raw Torch & Battery 40
Nite Ize DomeLit 50
Tritium Marker 10
Bic Lighters X 4
Ranger Bands
10000 mah usb charge pack 125
Spare Coin Cells for Lights 50
Ecig & Juice 200
Data Logger Thermometer 10
Micro Lithium Charger 10
Phone + 2 Spare Batteries 250 170
Alpkit Padded Cell phone case 10
Mora 110
Double Stuuf Sharpener 98
Wallet, Tickets, Cash, Card, Docs 200
Mozzie Head Net 15
Wilmas Mossie Juice 20
Dymeema 2mm x 30m
Uco Mini with Reflector and 5 Tealites
Whistle
Compass 40
Map 150

Water & Treatment

10 litre Ortleib water bladder 125
Drinksafe Explorer Canteen 1.0 litre 230
Millbank 80
Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Kitchen Sink 10L 49

Food Buy on Arrival - Allow 3kg 3000

Clothes - Worn

Beanie
Gloves - Hestra Czone Pickup
Merino wool long johns and Base
5.11 Tactical Shirt
Buffalo 6 Shirt
Ventile Trousers
Woolpower Socks
Boots - Scarpas

In Pack

Arktis waterproof Smock.
Crocs
Woolpower Socks X2
Spare Underwear x2
Spare Base Layer
merino buff
1 x 5.11 Tactical Shirt
Spare Trousers Craghoppers
outfit for return flight T shirt & Craghoppers

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I do not know about Estonia but there is still snow in Southern Finland at the end of March. How are you planning to move around? There are no mosquitos during the time of your visit so nets and such are unnecessary. I would also change the boots on your list to taller, waterproof rubber boots.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Looks a good list Paul.

The trouble with them is that they are personal to you and you alone.

You might want more than one torch and method of charging your phone, others wouldn't and there's the rub, their personal choice becomes yours.

If you want to carry it, you carry it mate, only then will you dump the extras on your next trip.

Good luck mate and have a great time -

PS...... Pics and lots of them :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You might want more than one torch and method of charging your phone, others wouldn't and there's the rub, their personal choice becomes yours....

On that note where's the camera or are you going to rely on your phone to take pics as well?

If that's the case then Martin's suggestion of an additional means of charging is something worth thinking about

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I do not know about Estonia but there is still snow in Southern Finland at the end of March. How are you planning to move around? There are no mosquitos during the time of your visit so nets and such are unnecessary. I would also change the boots on your list to taller, waterproof rubber boots.

Hi Martti. If it looks like the thaw is late i will have to look into a pulk and snow shoes for moving about and add a snow shovel to the list. I will have access to a car but to be honest i would rather just park it up and explore on foot.

Thanks for the advice on head net and boots. My scarpas are waterproof and i was hoping with gaiters i could get away with them but ill look into other options.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
On that note where's the camera or are you going to rely on your phone to take pics as well?

If that's the case then Martin's suggestion of an additional means of charging is something worth thinking about

Hi Steve. Photos will be via the phone. im really impressed with the galaxy S3 and it has quite a few features to turn out good photos

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Looks a good list Paul.

The trouble with them is that they are personal to you and you alone.

You might want more than one torch and method of charging your phone, others wouldn't and there's the rub, their personal choice becomes yours.

If you want to carry it, you carry it mate, only then will you dump the extras on your next trip.

Good luck mate and have a great time -

Hi Martin

ive got 2 torches on the list, quantum DD key ring job 0-90 lumen, Lummi Raw (50/200 lumen but compact) and im also carrying a head light and a dome light for in the shelter. 10amp usb charging pack is also included on the list although im part way through making a 20amp version.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Better to have something and not need it that to need it and not have it. I'd add a stick of lipsyl, a pair of shades, a wire saw, waterproof matches and a sewing kit. I always pack a hi-viz vest just in case I get lost or owt and they send out a search party, 'cos it's easier to spot from a distance than my DPMs :).

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Mate your a techy and it shows :)

Theres a lot of gear there that can be removed be harsh all your chargers can stay in your hire car.
You dont need that many torchs maybe use a couple of tea light in your tent at night far better than torch light when your on your own and demons come :lmao:
Little things like trowals you can live without .

Dont get me wrong dont cut down on safety just some of the small things ,

Cooking maybe cook on wood ( have some fail safe fire starting methods sorted ) on a light stove it means theres no need to worry about how much fuel you use and gives a good boost for morale .

Keep all you kit simple replace the peanut lighter with a handfull of biks dont look as nice but one will work ,

We all have a different take on packing and you need to find what works for you

All the best for the trip

157.jpg

162.jpg

Twodogs

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
You'll need to keep a close eye on the weather. I know Estonia has different weather to here but I've seen snow and -15 in late March and also bright sun and close to +20

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You'll need to keep a close eye on the weather. I know Estonia has different weather to here but I've seen snow and -15 in late March and also bright sun and close to +20

Hi Sam

Yes i understand that time of year is the most difficult to predict. Ive been speaking to Jaan of this parish and he said that some years in Estonia he has driven to the islands over the ice and other years it has been warm enough to swim in the sea :D. I will judge nearer to the time

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice kit list Paul and great looking trip:)

I always take some Hippo (like gaffer tape but permanently waterproof) tape wrapped around something and a lump of Polymorph.

Needle and thread, Hippo tape and Polymorph will mend almost anything.

Also, I'd ensure that the pots I took could be used easily over a fire too.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice kit list Paul and great looking trip:)

I always take some Hippo (like gaffer tape but permanently waterproof) tape wrapped around something and a lump of Polymorph.

Needle and thread, Hippo tape and Polymorph will mend almost anything.

Also, I'd ensure that the pots I took could be used easily over a fire too.

That polymorph looks like cracking kit. Can it be remoulded once youve used the granules to form a lump by chucking back in hot water?

EdS

ditch the 5.11 shirt you will be wearing with the Buffalo top. Extra weight and reducing the effectiveness of the Buffalo.

i found the Montane version good to below -15 with just a merino t shirt under - and that was more t okeep the shirt cleeaner. Once move and around -10 its was Pile and pertex top alone.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes bud, over and over again. Heat it to over 50c and it moulds, heat it over 100c and it turns to hot glue. Its stronger than Nylon too and It stays flexible in the -30 freezer test :)

Just don't try making a spork out of it :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE