End of an icon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We're loosing another icon that's touched the lives of many of us.
Thus Friday sees the last Land Rover Defender roll off of the line.
One of the worlds most recognised vehicles, fills a huge amount of rolls, has saved lives and given years of fun...as well of many gallons of tears of frustration when they break down. :rolleyes:
Yeah there's loads of jokes, and having owned and driven a fair few I feel I'm allowed to poke a bit of fun, but jokes aside most owners love them to bits despite their foibles.
So I'll raise a glass on Friday in sorrow to another British hero lost.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A sad day and a hard act to follow!

Indeed, the likes of Toyota et al never seem to get the need for weather inside the vehicle. :)

I loved my Defender, her name was Tess.

IMG_6868.JPG

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was lucky enough to do the factory tour last year, proved expensive, within a month I'd swapped my Discovery 2 for a TD5 90. Suits me much better.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
To be honest, its long long over due, that design is soooo backdated its needed updating completley for a long time, and besides which it has been updated bit by bit over the years. It will be back in a familiar design, i only hope they do not make it too complicated or varied, on a similar chassis. The ability to take it to pieces rebuild, and replace bits is what made it so long lived.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I miss mine even though I'm happy with my Isuzu pickup, dove 110 defenders for 12 years. I do hope they do a good job of the new ones, although I think that's wishful thinking they'll keep the practicalities of upkeep and access to bits so people can tinker themselves, I think it's much more likely going to be a design that forces a lot more people to take them to the garage...

leon-1

Are the new ones being trialled on BATUS? Are they designed for the military?

That's how they got their name, I even remember them coming into service.

If the design isn't taken on by the military it won't be a Defender in many peoples view no matter how they are badged.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
My daughter will be gutted, its her dream car for when she can drive.

What ever follows, you bet it will be full of stuff that only an authorised service centre can deal with.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Sad news, at least there will still be plenty to have on the used car market, held together with tape and fueled with WD40.

Tonyuk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've had 4. Loved and miss them all. One of the nicest things, especially with Series motors, was the cameraderie between the owners. You could be at the side of the road with the bonnet up, and complete strangers (but LR owners) would stop and offer assistance.
I'd have another series tomorrow.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Yes, it is a real shame, but having been on the production line tour, understandable. I am currently on no.5 and 6. And I am glad. Only really the Pinzgauer as a 4x4 or any interest now. But I did get to see a 110 driving under its own power for the first time, that was pretty special!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Something that nearly got me hung in the 4x4 club I used to be in (and I owned a Disco 1 @ the time) was that the Mercedes G Wagon was what the Defender could be. Both have similar looks and were very capable but the Rovers were just a little sloppy mechanically & reliability wise. Still love them and my first one called Broom (cause of its registration plate) brought a tear to the eye when she went.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The three things that most hack me off with my Defender 110 DC are as follows:

1. Carp steering lock.
2. Doors that won't close without herculean force and pop open suddenly in Winter.
3. Rust

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE