Electric or Petrol Chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Hi there,

can anyone give me a recommendation on an electric chainsaw (preferably) or a petrol one. mainly for cutting logs of between 3" to 13". Got around £90 to spend.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi godfather.

If I had all the money to spend in the world on a petrol chainsaw I would by a STIHL. (5orry Husky owners!)

If I wanted an electric chainsaw I would buy a Makita one.

If I had little money for a petrol one, I would but a small Echo petrol chainsaw. (I have had an Echo as a standby for many years)

I hope this helps.

Swyn.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Godfather - Buy a petrol chainsaw - dont waste money on an electric one as they are very limited on what diameters they can cut, plus the lead is annoying and dangerous. Swyn's right - if you are on a limited budget Makita, Echo or Jonsared all make reliable but affordable petrol chainsaws. What do you want it for? Felling work or just cross-cutting small-diameter firewood? If you want to do felling work it would be better to buy a higher-spec professional grade saw such as a Stihl MS260 or Husqvarna 357 ( :p sorry swyn but they're not bad saws, that being said I also use Stihl). One thing to consider also is how available spares are - if you have a husqvarna dealer near to you then a husky might be a better choice. Garden machinery and repair dealers sometimes sell second-hand reconditioned saws but take care as they may be on their last legs. You dont need a license to buy a chainsaw (you do to rent one however as the hire firm is liable), but if you are doing felling work I would reccomend you put yourself on a National Profficiency Test Council (NPTC) course - type that in a search engine and it will give you details of your nearest assement centre; if you are a casual user you dont need to take the assessment but you should get tuition from an experienced user and get the chance to practice plenty of felling, which is the most dangerous part of using a saw. What else can I say - using a chainsaw to cut is just like using hand tools - if it feels dangerous (body stance, etc.) then it probably is.

Pheww, that's my two pennys worth. Hope this helps, Aaron

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Petrol. There is no way that fixing an electric one to your arm and fighting off the hordes of the evil dead is going to work!

Sorry - just couldn't help myslelf....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
If you get a petrol one, make sure it works ok or you may get stressed as I did....

IMAGE_179Small.jpg

IMAGE_180Small.jpg

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Hi there,

can anyone give me a recommendation on an electric chainsaw (preferably) or a petrol one. mainly for cutting logs of between 3" to 13". Got around £90 to spend.

I use a chainsaw on a fairly regular basis due to my multi-fuel stove.
No way on earth would I bother with an electric chainsaw.

I've a couple of saws here, one cheap saw that I purchased from Argos of all places (spotted it when we were buying a birthday present for someone and had to have it.) only cost about £95 and it does a good job. All said and done, you get what you pay for and chainsaws are no different. Cheap ones will over heat if you work um hard, and that will be the end of the saw. You'll not find spare parts, you'll not get it fixed. Buy a good one and you'll be spending a good few hundred pounds. Buy a good second had one and your going to be buying someone else's problems. Once you have a good chainsaw, you'll only sell it when its knackered.

This one looks very good for the money:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7200597.htm

John

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Husky 136/137 a brillent saw have used one for a long time now incredabley robust and easy to maintain. The equivalent Stihle is not so robust. Please get your self on an NPTC chainsaw course, you will be taught to maintain it properly and use and treat it with the respect a chainsaw needs.

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Reminds me why chainsaw gloves are always dayglo,

so you can find your hand in the undergrowth after youve accidentally cut it off:

:11doh:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
All the decent makes are worth having Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered, Makita etc but petrol is the way to go (make sure the one you buy has anti vibration bushes and a chainbrake). More important than the saw is your protective gear. Don't play with a saw without all of the below because it's a real bad accident just waiting to happen.

Get an arbourists helmet with visor and ear defenders
Standard.jpg

A pair of ballistic chainsaw pants or chaps
sipinnovation.jpg

A pair of chainsaw gloves
husqvarna_chainsaw_gloves.jpg

A pair of chainsaw rated boots or wellies
forester.jpg

A first aid pouch that fits on your belt
first-aid-pouch.jpg

And a chainsaw sharpening kit
sharpeningset.jpg

And vitally important GET SOME EXPERT TRAINING if you haven't already. Being an ex forestry officer I know only too well how a chainsaw can kickback and really spoil your day if you're not careful and it all happens in the blink of an eye.

Stihl do an excellent safety manual available for download. Read it thoroughly and most of all be safe

http://www.stihl.co.uk/pdf/chainsaw.pdf

:)

chainsawholdjp9.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I was told that the British lumberjack competition team (or whatever they are called) have switched from sthil saws to makita saws, because they are meant to be better.....
All my power tools are makita, because I rate them over hitachi bosch etc, but to switch from a proven and well known brand like sthil to makita is a bold move....Anyone got any info on this...

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
My first boss (i'm a tree surgeon by the way), once told me that Husqies are the ferrarri's of saws, great when they work, but require alot of maintenence. Sthil are more like volvos, not quite a good but keep going. The Echo's now are becoming a supurb saw. Makita's are great, but run at very high revs (good for clean cuts and fast work, but not so long lived). Jhonserad are low budget husqies (same company), so very good and very little difference.
Go with the best you can afford, but don't be tempted by bells and whistles.
And, as everybody has said, get yourself on a basic chainsaw course as soon as possible (most farm colleges offer them). And make sure you get the best protective gear possible (most accidents are by inexperienced users, cross cutting and not wearing ballistic trousers).
Good luck and feel free to ask for any advice
Baggins

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
how are mccullochs? rated as ive just got one off freecycle,it wont start and has petrol/oil in it.i was going to check the spark next.it has a 16"bar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE