Edibility tests ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've just been having a look through a few survival books and one thing that seems to come up again and again is the edibility test. If you're not familiar with this test, here it is ... http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/survival-use-of-plants_s1.htm#uet

However, I think that this test, especially in the way that it is portrayed in most books, is misleading and dangerous. This test isn't something you should do lightly. Basically, there are a few things out there that can kill you or make you seriously ill in very small doses. Don't use this test as a substitute to knowledge! This test is one designed to be used in times of extreme need (downed aircrew/military personnel behind enemy lines, etc) and not a way to find things that edible on a casual basis!

Also - don't try this one on fungi! It's doesn't work! Remember, you can physically eat pretty much every mushroom ... only some you only eat once!

This test is a test for when things become life-or-death, not a causal test to check if you've ID a plant correctly!

Just had to get that off my chest! :soapbox:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The edibility test is very unreliable. Its ony used when you re going to die of starvation..... if you get it wrong it could be fatal.

Ed

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
The edibility test is a very dangerous gamble and I would strongly advise against putting anything in your mouth that you have not identified beyond resonable doubt. There are no simple short-cuts to plant identification and like all skills it takes practice and repetition, but it is well-worth the effort, as not only can it occasionaly feed you, but also vastly improves your level of confidence and enjoyment in the outdoors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE