Edge finishing on Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I see that there are products available to finish edges on leatherwork but they seem to be in colours only (black/brown etc) but whats the best method of finishing more unusual colours such as Green or Buckskin? I ask cos im at that stage with a couple of project items. Thanks guys.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I see that there are products available to finish edges on leatherwork but they seem to be in colours only (black/brown etc) but whats the best method of finishing more unusual colours such as Green or Buckskin? I ask cos im at that stage with a couple of project items. Thanks guys.
Hi mate, if you don want to add a edge finish as such just dye with what dye you are using and burnish.
Hope that helps mate.
take care.
lee.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Depends a lot on what result you're after. There's a good thread on general edge finishing here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

If I'm dying the leather (i.e. not pre-dyed) I tend to use the same colour as for the front of the leather (as has already been mentioned), then burnish with Gum Tragacanth and a bone folder ('cos after a lot of experimentation, that's what works best for me). If you get a bit of dye run onto the front surface, it probably doesn't matter, as it is the same colour. Personally I'm not a great fan of edge kote, but lots of people do use it.

For pre-dyed leather, I do usually dye the edges, as the leather I use isn't completely through-dyed, but you do need to be very careful not to run a slightly different colour dye onto the front surface. In this case, the front surface is already waxed /oiled, so gently applying the dye to the cut edge allows it so seep through the fibres and generally gives a good straight edge along the edge of the cut surface. Then I burnish.

I'd recommend what I always do with a new type of leather, or a new colour dye - get a few scraps and try out different techniques. Edge finishing is often towards the end of a project, and you don't want to mess it up at that stage.

Geoff :)

As Geoff says, it all depends on the result you seek. It's all really about looks. I tend to work with oak tanned leather and treat it with neatsfoot oil, then cleaned and polished with saddle soap. But dyeing the edge with the same dye you use on the leather is fine in most cases. Edges look a lot better and more professional when they've been rounded over with an edge beveler, then burnished with a bone (or similar tool). Beveling the edge is a must for a "professional" look for things like belts, saddles, etc. Your eye really catches it if the edges aren't cleanly done.

Good luck, dive in, have fun,
George

leon-1

If you have dyed the leather a specific colour trim it so that all surfaces are flush, you can do this with a sharp cutting tool, a very steady hand and a certain amount of luck. The other option would be to use a reasonably fine sandpaper on a sanding block or a belt sander to even the edge out.

As one of the other guys mentioned, if you are using hard leathers (veg tanned or Oak bark tanned) bevel the edges using a bevelling tool, then dye the bevelled surfaces and the side to match the rest of the sheath. With this complete you have a number of options, you can lick the edge, apply gum tragacanth or use lightly sugared water to moisten the edge and then using a bone folder or any hard smooth surfaced tool (including a biro) apply pressure to the moistened edge whilst rubbing up and down the edge. This will burnish the edge.

After a short period of time the edge will glaze over and start to become shiny, it will also darken slightly to provide a contrast to the base colour of the leather work.

If you wish you can then apply a coat of resolene to help protect the burnished edge. I would normally then wax the whole item before final polishing and burnishing with a soft cloth.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE