Ecological Consultancy Placement Help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
First off, if this is against the rules, I apologize. Feel free to delete immediately! This is a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if anyone could help me in finding an ecological consultancy work placement around roughly in the areas around Ferndown, Dorset/Ringwood, Hampshire or anywhere west in the New Forest. If you own such an establishment, I would be grateful for your consideration:

22 year old student of countryside management and ecology at Sparsholt College Hampshire. I have just completed a two year Level 3 Extended diploma in Countryside Management (Distinction Star grade) and come September 19th I will be starting a BSc in Ecology and Wildlife Management at the same institute. I performed outstandingly on my diploma with a distinction in every assignment over the two year period and have a deep fascination for natural history, taxonomy, biodiversity and land management. I am particularly interested in botany and entomology.

A summary of my previous experiences & skills:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Countryside Management D*
-Have written many assignments on ecology/biodiversity and habitat management plans.
-Experience with survey methods such as Phase 1 Habitat Survey, National Vegetation Classification as well as species specific surveys like the Breeding Bird Survey and the UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme transects. I have also used the program MAVIS to discern NVC communities in woodland and grassland habitats.
- City & Guilds NPTC CS30 cross-cutting & maintenance ticket
- 6 weeks of work experience in the aforementioned establishments doing practical and survey work, plus the following voluntary placements prior to starting my diploma:
More than a year of practical work at Butser Ancient Farm (Hampshire), several weeks at Queen Elizabeth Country Park (Hampshire), and several months at Yellowcraig SSSI beach in Scotland, East Lothian.

The work placement would take place from 6th February to 3rd March 2017 (min. 150 hours). I know this is far in advance, but I've been advised to start looking now and I want to find a placement soon. As far as I'm aware there is no obligation to undertake any particular task within the work placement period. I am happy to perform any tasks that may be necessary, such as office work.

Again, please delete if this is inappropriate.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very best of luck with it :D
You have put in so much work, and you have such a breadth of experience too, and I know I'm not alone in being so pleased for you with your results.
I hope someone can offer you the placement you need, and that it's not just more experience but a lot of pleasure too.

atb,
Toddy

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Very best of luck with it :D
You have put in so much work, and you have such a breadth of experience too, and I know I'm not alone in being so pleased for you with your results.
I hope someone can offer you the placement you need, and that it's not just more experience but a lot of pleasure too.

atb,
Toddy

Cheers, Toddy. Much appreciated!

I remember when I first registered to BCUK before I had even come down to England. I haven't been active on the forum in a long time, but I've been visiting more and more these days. I could have just gotten a job, but it was good to go back into education as an older student. It's been a long ride, but I'm glad I'm going to finally be doing a degree in ecology. Three more years to go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Life's the journey, not the destination :D Your's sounds like it's been interesting :cool:
I hope it's rich in everything that's quietly important, as well as successful.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You certainly have come a long way these three years, eh? I remember a somewhat confused young man posting here but you really have taken it by the horns and packed a great deal of good stuff into that time. You obviously have a great sense of purpose and a willingness to work hard and I wish I was in a position to help with your placement; somebody will, though, and I'm sure they'll be repaid amply.

Very well done, and I hope you continue to achieve such good results and such obvious enjoyment :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE