Dyeing Wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Can anyone tell me how to dye wool? Ive purchased a pair of woollen wristlets which are cream/white and would like to dye them? Thanks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To dye them brown brew up the strongest tea you can (boil 100 tea bags in 1 gallon of water for example) and soak the wool in the brew for a week - tan wool :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's astonishing just how effective the tea is for this. I did a stack of underwear recently (mind out of gutter, old thermals, etc., that had gotten muddy when I unexpectedly found myself sitting in the mud :eek: and couldn't change out of them quickly, so the stain dried and set ) the tea worked even on the acrylic mix and the lace and threads too. Nice neutral tanned colour was the result.

cheers,
Toddy

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I recently started with dying wool, I used a load of onion skins that I had collected over a few weeks. I mordanted the wool using Alum, then dyed using the onion skins. I got a beautiful golden orange. As an experiment I added some rusty water to the dye pot and then returned a second skein to the pot, this took the orange down to a golden brown.

Very rewarding exercise. There is lots of info out there on how to dye wool, and onion skins are available for free.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE