Dutch Ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd like to draw on the collective knowledge of this fine forum bwfore purchasing a dutch oven.

I don't know much about them. I've used an alluminium one, but not cast iron. However, I have had cast iron pns in the past and found cleaning a bit awkward.

I'd like something big enough to be used at home as well as on trips wjere weight isn't an issue.

So, what do you reccomend? Material, size, brands to look for or avoid?

Thanks in advance :)

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I received a petromax 12qt from Green man bushcraft today looks like a absolutely cracking piece of kit, I'm just worried that I should of bought a smaller size!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
When it comes to dutch ovens, you surely have to stick with cast iron. The market leading brands are Lodge and Petromax. However many folk (myself included) use Ronnie sunshine dutch ovens and I'm very happy with all three of mine!
In terms of size, I'd go with a 6 or 8 litre? They are plenty big enough to feed a family.

Not sure what you found to be awkward about cleaning cast iron. If anything it's easier than washing other items. Never ever use soap, that's the golden rule. Boiled up some water in them and that should enable you to clean them up and then all you need to do is season them with oil every now and again.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'll confess I did a crap job of seasoning a cast iron griddle pan and that put me off it

A dutch oven would be much easier to clean though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only one I know apart from my hob Le Creuset type copies (which are very good on low heat) is the Ronnie Sunshine. We boiled a good lobscouse for 8 in one, October in The Lakes. Took hours to cook, but the result was a hearty meal. Keep your stew watery and thicken at the end. I was well impressed with it, we just sort of bunged it in the fire and stirred from time to time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A 10 inch DO would be the minimum acceptable size. 12 inch would be best and 14 inch the max. A deep one will be more versatile in camp but not really needed at home.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Also consider if you require feet on one. This renders them no use for wood stove top cooking. I always hang my Dutch oven over the fire. But on occasion place in ashes and charcoal on lid.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use an enamel oval roasting tin as a form of dutch oven, with the top lid turned upside down to hold plenty of coal. Since its much thinner than cast iron it'll cook well on a tiny bed of coals but can burn if i'm not careful. Very easy to clean though, nothing sticks that bad it it never needs seasoning.

Tonyuk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
This is all great information, thanks.

I had been thinking about why legs would be of any benefit. It seems a flat bottom can do it all anyway.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
This is all great information, thanks.

I had been thinking about why legs would be of any benefit. It seems a flat bottom can do it all anyway.

Legs can help keep the floor of the pan out of the ashes, resting slightly out of the intense/direct heat, allowing movement of heat/airflow underneath and around, to create more even heating when using coals on the lid. This mimics even heating similar to a oven. Reduces chances if food burning on bottom due to hot spots. Legs also help to stabilise the dutch oven when seating in the ashes.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I have a petromax qt3 I believe (smallest one), to clean just turn upside down in the fire and let it burn out! The hot iron takes in the oil and it helps.
Legs are a godsend for having directly in the coals, much more sturdy. I LOVE the face the petro has legs on the lid so you can turn it upside down and use as a frying pan!

All in all a marvellous piece of kit

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I've had a fair few Dutch ovens and as long as the lid fits nice and tight the rest is just preference (although avoiding Chinese steel is good too). My favourite is a pyrex casserole/Dutch oven that was £3 on a car boot with a DIY brass hanging loop added. I've also an aluminium Jamaican style one which is really pretty good, loads lighter and no seasoning required.

Feet, round or flat bottomed has never really made much difference to me if I'm honest

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
I love cast iron dutch oven cooking. Need a little getting used to over an open fire but once you get going you'll be using it constantly (well, almost!). Someone suggested that for first time use a deep fry dish, eg doughnuts, fried chicken, fish, would give a nice deep seasoning to the oven. It worked for me.

Use only hot water to clean, dry completely by wiping and warming by the fire, gentle wipe all over with oil and you're done.

One thing to watch out for if you want to hang your oven over a fire. Make sure it hangs level. If it doesn't you'll have problems with some recipes. My first oven doesn't hang level so I only use it for on/in the embers cooking, but my second oven does so I can do the hanging over the fire routine. My first was a Ronnie Sunshine, my second a Petromax. Both brilliant bits of kit for a base camp. Enjoy.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I use an enamel oval roasting tin as a form of dutch oven, with the top lid turned upside down to hold plenty of coal. Since its much thinner than cast iron it'll cook well on a tiny bed of coals but can burn if i'm not careful. Very easy to clean though, nothing sticks that bad it it never needs seasoning.

Tonyuk

What a cracking idea, plus a very inexpensive way to try out a Dutch Oven

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE