Dutch Oven Restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi all.

I have been given a Dutch Oven that was left outside and has gone rusty.

I want to clean it up and repair a leg that has come off.

What is the best way to clean it and restore the inside and outside so I can cook in it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Regards

Phill. :cool:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cleaning the rust is the easy bit. Just scrub it off and reseason the DO. As to repairing the leg, that might be a bit trickier. You could try welding it back, but even if your successful the weld will affect how evenly the heat's distributed when cooking. I think if it were me, I'd remove the other legs as well and grind/sand them down to make the DO a flat bottomed one and use it accordingly.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have removed to legs on one of mine after knocking one off in the car.
I used a cutting disc on the grinder nice and slowly and kept it close to the base to ease flattening with a grinding disc.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
to weld cast iron it good to use steel welding rods on a warmed up oven,
you can also have a go on a fire with a oiled Dutch oven to get rid of rust on the outside and have a nice patina on it for the price of a good camp fire!
don't know how old this post is! sorry to excave it!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
If its manky with carbon deposits a cycle in an oven with self cleaning/pyro will return it to as new. Shouldn't present and problems with warping as in fire.

A 50/50 vinegar and water bath I think is recommended for rust. Maybe even the hot citric acid as used on the Car Boot Tools thread but I've never used that before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE