Drawstring bags/Stuff sacks - found a nice source

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
no connection with the seller, just like the product.

I have been looking for some small stuff sacks for ‘organisation’ in my bag for small - brew kit, wash kit etc.

Found this seller on eBay, price seemed reasonable so tried them out and I am quite pleased. Been using 2 for a couple months now and they have held up fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stuff-sa...hash=item287541bbb4:m:mljTjgSHumFbVvCoohkh6Ug

I have just brought another 4 of various sizes and colours for organisation etc. They weigh virtually nothing and pack down small when not in use.

I got them because, although I could make my own, they wouldn’t be any cheaper.

I have moved away from zippered organisation or Velcro pouches in my bag as they take up more space than they need and when empty still take up space, these don’t, and you can ‘fit’ more in by using something like this.

No connections just a happy buyer so thought I would ‘share the love’

Ed

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
They are looking lovely somehow.

But in my opinion Ortlieb ultra light dry bags are the best choice to store stuff in the ruck sack. ( black, olive, grey)

My second choice are Snugpak Dri Sak waterproof bags. (black, olive, coyote brown)

The large ones I take in olive and coyote, the small ones in black and grey.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
They are looking lovely somehow.

But in my opinion Ortlieb ultra light dry bags are the best choice to store stuff in the ruck sack. ( black, olive, grey)

My second choice are Snugpak Dri Sak waterproof bags. (black, olive, coyote brown)

The large ones I take in olive and coyote, the small ones in black and grey.

yeah, quite a price difference though. I can get about 5 of these for one ortlieb dry bag.

to be honest, the only time i have actually needed the complete waterproofness of a dry bag was when sailing. Ziplock bags, and small drawcords inside my bag like this do me fine and if the weather is REALLY wet (often in the UK) i have a PU rucksack cover. Other drawback of a dry bag is that they trap air which can be a slight pain when packing.

As for drybags - i used to use ortlieb, but not the lightweight ones - i used the heavyweight ones when sailing as weight wasnt a particular concern and they used to just get lashed to the deck etc.

You could argue that dry bags are best if you fall in a river etc, but tbh that has never happened to me, and its very unlikely it will due to the type of trips i go on *shrug*

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A cheap solution is to use only one large Ortlieb ultra light dry bag as ruck sack liner.
(Snugpak and Tatonka offer that size in oliv green too, what I would prefere, because it may happen, that I want to hide the dry bag in the bush while I use the ruck sack to go to the super market, to carry fire wood or what ever.)

But I find it more stressy to open always the liner, instead of taking a small dry bag out. To press the air out, is a question of experience.

For canoeing I use both in the Cordura ruck sack. That's totally waterproof of course.

Once my brother got a wave from a motor boat in his canoe and dry bag, when he had opened it, to take something out.
I learned...

I tend to pack in the best way I can do it.

But yes: The Wehrmacht rucksack I used for 20 years wasn't water tight. And inside I had nothing to seal my stuff.

I just used a NATO poncho in heavy rain. That worked too!

Since I often sleep with or without NATO poncho in the bivvy bag in the open field, and that in conditions around 0*C too, I started to put my stuff in dry bags.
Here rain could float during the night in the ruck sack, which I use as a pillow to protect it and for my comfort.

As you see, I tried out every possible variation. The System with smaller dry bags in different sizes and nature colours is the most comfortable to me.

I never have fallen in a river too in the last 40 years. But now I could easily swim with the ruck sack through a lake!

The stuff I can by on the market becomes better from year to year. Why shouldn't I use it?

But OK: I use my rucksack packed with my bushcraft equipment as professional luggage at professional journeys nearly every day. Money doesn't count for me if I buy stuff like that.

I use 12 small Ortlieb and Snugpack dry bags. 12x15€....

Hallo, little boy scouts!
If you steal a grey bin bag from mummy and use some freezer zipp lock bags of 1 or 3 litres Volume, and some plastic bags from the super market, you will have nearly the same effect, so long you don't use this in a boat!

That works very well too!

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
A cheap solution is to use only one large Ortlieb ultra light dry bag as ruck sack liner.
(Snugpak and Tatonka offer that size in oliv green too, what I would prefere, because it may happen, that I want to hide the dry bag in the bush while I use the ruck sack to go to the super market, to carry fire wood or what ever.)

But I find it more stressy to open always the liner, instead of taking a small dry bag out. To press the air out, is a question of experience.

For canoeing I use both in the Cordura ruck sack. That's totally waterproof of course.

Once my brother got a wave from a motor boat in his canoe and dry bag, when he had opened it, to take something out.
I learned...

I tend to pack in the best way I can do it.

But yes: The Wehrmacht rucksack I used for 20 years wasn't water tight. And inside I had nothing to seal my stuff.

I just used a NATO poncho in heavy rain. That worked too!

Since I often sleep with or without NATO poncho in the bivvy bag in the open field, and that in conditions around 0*C too, I started to put my stuff in dry bags.
Here rain could float during the night in the ruck sack, which I use as a pillow to protect it and for my comfort.

As you see, I tried out every possible variation. The System with smaller dry bags in different sizes and nature colours is the most comfortable to me.

I never have fallen in a river too in the last 40 years. But now I could easily swim with the ruck sack through a lake!

The stuff I can by on the market becomes better from year to year. Why shouldn't I use it?

But OK: I use my rucksack packed with my bushcraft equipment as professional luggage at professional journeys nearly every day. Money doesn't count for me if I buy stuff like that.

I use 12 small Ortlieb and Snugpack dry bags. 12x15€....

Hallo, little boy scouts!
If you steal a grey bin bag from mummy and use some freezer zipp lock bags of 1 or 3 litres Volume, and some plastic bags from the super market, you will have nearly the same effect, so long you don't use this in a boat!

That works very well too!

And that’s the key, finding a system that works for you and sticking with it :cool:

I have been debating getting a poncho again, it works well to cover yourself and your gear in one go then everything is kept dry

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE