Double Bit Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Hello

I'm looking for a Double Bit Axe but they seem few and far between in the UK.

I've been through the Internet and tried all the combinations I can think of !!

I'm not bothered about the name, I just want a decent everyday Axe.

Can anyone help me with my search ??

I'm not even bothered about a new one, I just want a good one.

Thanks

MikT

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Your two best options for double bits are a vintage had and mount it yourself, or buy a gransfors double bit working axe (not the throwing axe). Several of our members on here have the gransfors and all rate it highly. The balance of a double bit makes it far more enjoyable to swing and easier to aim than large, american style felling axes.

It can be hard to find double bit gransfors now as they are hand made in smaller quantities than any of there other axes, but if you call around you might get one. I got one last christmas as a gift and it was hard to track down. Several reputable sellers told me of the difficult they had in getting them in and suggested I buy the first one I find as they were unsure how many months or years it would be until they could get them again.

With regards to the vintage option, your only real option is to track one down in the US. With the exchange rate, postage and charges, and rehelving you can easily approach the cost of a gransfors. Something to consider with this option is that there is no guarantee that a previous owner hasn't destroyed the temper of the axe.

With the gransfors you get customer support and a guarantee, so i recommend it as the best option.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I've got a Condor Michigan axe, I sold my Gransfors bruks wilderness axe to buy it (felt like a change and I already have both forest axes).
Quality of the axe and sheath is good but both cutting edges were blunt, I expected one side to have a steep blunt edge for splitting but didn't expect both sides to be like that. I took one side to the grinder and stones and after some time it turned out okay (bear in mind that I have all the kit and know what I'm doing), this could be difficult if you haven't got the tools for the job.
It still doesn't cut like a Gransfors but you do have a blunt head for splitting and doing rough jobs like hacking roots.
I'm going for a campout next weekend and a lean to shelter will be built with it so let's see how it performs with a proper task not just prepping firewood.
I have been thinking of getting another wilderness axe!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I always wished I'd bought the scandi forest instead of the small forest. It is still my most used axe, but I feel the helve could be a bit longer. I've even thought of re-helving at one point.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Which did you prefer Rob.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I found the wilderness axe a bit head heavy but splitting was a breeze with it, I would prefer the Scandinavian forest axe for chopping. So far the Michigan is OK but not brilliant , on the other hand I haven't really given it that much work. As for out of the box it was crap due to the steep blunt cutting edge.
I'm sorry I sold you the mears axe to buy it but you know what it's like, boys like new toys!

brickie58

Feb 8, 2014
pembs
Got the council double bit axe I think it was from eBay took a bit of work on the edge took all the red paint off it lovely felling axe now

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Norlund are all but impossible to obtain unless your willing to offer outrageous money. Daves videos just cemented this axe into lore. Are they good? Probably but they are just steel and wood like many other axes and your paying for the name and rarity.
The little double bit that Wranglerstar re handled for Dave got me drooling but after many months of looking and getting outbid I decided to obtain the smallest vintage double bit head from the U.S. And re profile it to hand axe size. It was a lot of work but I now have a Norlund knock off for less than a quarter of the money that a rusty lost Norlund head dug up in someone's yard went for!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Re-helving an axe is pretty rewarding to do and I can definitely recommend it. Lots of information on the net on how to do it.

Good double bit heads are harder to come by than single bits but if you are patient, you can find one. Some things to avoid: deep pitting, cracks, and most commonly, the axe bits have been sharpened back to the point that they are not worth buying. Also, if you buy off ebay, the shipping can be pretty high for an axe, especially if it has a handle on it. Chances are the handle needs replacing and sometimes you can get the seller to cut the handle off and give you a break on shipping costs.

Some good vintage heads that can often be purchased at a reasonable price are Plumb, True Temper, Craftsman, Collins, and Vaughn. Just spend a lot of time on ebay and watch how the pricing goes and eventually you will get a feel for the pricing and quality. Take your time. :)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Many Thanks for all the suggestions

Just looked at a Council Tools one, not the one on ebay as they won't deliver it so far North, but another one in the UK that sells them, they wanted £46 for delivery !!
Oh well I'll just have to keep looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE