doomsdayers/preppers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I saw that too, most of them didn't seem like the nutters that survivalists were a few years back, all combats and guns.
I think I'd want to stick with the travelling salesman preparing for the nuclear Holocaust though. He seemed to have it sussed - everything you need to live, hidden away, and a nice remote area.
I think we'd struggle in this crowded island, unless you own a bit of land yourself, or know where one of those WW2 secret Home Guard shelters was/is...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That also only depicts the very extreme end of prepping , if you chuck some extra gear in your car at winter time 'just-in-case' you are prepping.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I saw that too, most of them didn't seem like the nutters that survivalists were a few years back, all combats and guns.
I think I'd want to stick with the travelling salesman preparing for the nuclear Holocaust though. He seemed to have it sussed - everything you need to live, hidden away, and a nice remote area.
I think we'd struggle in this crowded island, unless you own a bit of land yourself, or know where one of those WW2 secret Home Guard shelters was/is...

Most of us aren't;)

Saw the programme last year IIRC, not a bad show.

Watched the new Conan this morning.... :) A very rough world depicted in the film.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been prepping a while now, not extreme but enough to see our house hold through a bad patch like a freak winter. I think it is just common sense to have a reserve of essential stuff and everyone should have enough room for a box or two of gear stashed away even in a bed-sit?

My van is the same stocked with about two weeks worth of packs of dried food meals and soups etc... but I do use this at work for lunch. Also I have my Alcohol stove and cook set and 5 litres of tap water, milk powder and brew kit along with assorted other drink mixes.

I also have a sleeping bag tucked away in a vacuum bag that takes no space at all.

It's funny, I actually dreamt a while ago that I was stuck in a snow drift on a motorway or something and was dishing out hot drinks to surrounded fellow stranded people!!

Steve.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I thought some of the stuff about water purification was interesting - does it have to be bright sunlight, or just daylight, to purify water in a clear plastic bottle? Could we use that method in this (often overcast) climate of ours?

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Its about the UV, so it'd be quicker in the desert at noon, but should still work on a blowey UK afternoon, but I bet it would take longer.

I dont know if the plastic bottles they have over there are different to the ones pop comes in the UK, but they only last a few weeks after opening the seal, before it startsreleasing chemical nasties.

Other than that I agree, the guy with the bunker should do well. Ifit ever gets that bad, I think the farm & Housewife might struggle though, like the narrator says, they look like they have stuff going spare. Amused to hear her mention OPSEC, then for a wholesalers lorry to make a delivery right on her doorstep. Doh.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
When I worked in Antarctica we had to shovel snow into a meltwater tank every day to provide the base with fresh water. The question about purification came up, and we were told that although it was pretty clean to begin with, any bacteria was killed by the UV rays in the sunlight ( I was there during the summer ).

I mentioned this afterwards to a guy who had been on quite a few trips there, and he said that that's all very well, but on a previous trip he'd been part of the team that changed the meltwater tank, and the inside of the old one had been coated a couple of inches thick in all kinds of crap. I never saw him drink the water, unless it had been boiled and turned into tea or coffee.....

Cheers, Michael.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I mentioned this afterwards to a guy who had been on quite a few trips there, and he said that that's all very well, but on a previous trip he'd been part of the team that changed the meltwater tank, and the inside of the old one had been coated a couple of inches thick in all kinds of crap. .[
Probably algae. Mostly harmless. The watertanks on our boats would get that black slime on the insides of the tank and the pipes. Some people make a yearly ritual out of emptying the tanks, using bleach etc the clear it out. We never bothered and never had stomach problems.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Appearing on TV showing off your vast stock of supplies didn't seem too clever a move either.

Exactly. Having been involved in some disaster relief exercises while in uniform, in those scenarios the sad reality is she'd get a 9mm to the back of the head the same day, and it'd be by people known to her, just to get to her supplies so they can feed their family. People revert to a middle ages mindset incredibly quickly when society evaporates from around them. Guilt becomes someone elses problem, an emotion for when you're warm and safe with food in the cupboard and contented kids doing their homework.

The smartest ones on the entire programme were the ones who weren't, if you know what I mean.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
When it comes down to it everyone is a prepper, they just don't agree on what might happen tomorrow.

Back in the day they used to call this kind of behavior keeping a pantry full. It is only recently that we have such a sophisticated distribution system that so many people can get away with only a few days food supply on hand. The Mormons are really set up for it, they commonly have a years food supply per household. We try to keep at least a months supply of staples on hand. Most Brazilians have very little food in their homes.

Everyone thinks that prepping is just in case T.S.H.T.F. but it could be that your out of work for a while at least you don't have to spend your savings on food for one as far as letting others know your prepping well you just put a target on your back now the Mormons have now up'ed that mandatory year food supply to 2 years they do let anyone buy the food too you can go and can all kinds of long term foods and its cheep... you just never know what the future holds if nothing happens well you have allot of cheep food to chow down on or donate to a food bank....

Last edited:

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Anyone on here seen that film 'The Road' with Vigo Mortenssen (Strider from LOTR)? That is one bleak viewing, but it shows how quickly the unacceptable can become the norm; cannibalism, robbery and murder become commonplace with only a few keeping hold of their 'civilised' modes of behaviour.
Worth watching!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone on here seen that film 'The Road' with Vigo Mortenssen (Strider from LOTR)? That is one bleak viewing, but it shows how quickly the unacceptable can become the norm; cannibalism, robbery and murder become commonplace with only a few keeping hold of their 'civilised' modes of behaviour.
Worth watching!

Not saying it would lead to an immediate breakdown in society but the following is worth reading:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...anarchy--Britain-facing-real-food-crisis.html

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Ive been into the prepping thing for quite a number of years. regrettably I ant got a homestead with ensuite fallout shelter my own power plant and such.
but I do like to keep some essentials...
and food / water etc.
research has shown that there are two main groups of social class which are attracted to the prepping idea the lower social class of people who know what hardship is and actively watch food and fuel prices rising and start to live with the war time mentality of storing for leaner times, and the top end of society who get to their egyptian pharoh state of mind which is (ive got the lot, im keeping it, theres no one, deserves to survive more than I do) these are the ones who have bought their selves multi million dollar survival condo's...
but on the lower end of the scale such as myself!!! we tend to buy a bit extra when the cash is plentiful. but there are wide inplications to this prepping business...
the biggest problem faced by any prepper is who do you help if there is a crisis!!!
for example!!!!the shops are empty and theres a pram and giro couple just down the street who cant get any milk for a baby whos only a couple months old!!!
the good samaritan prepper will say to the mother. ive got some baby milk which i'll let you have!!!
by being a decent person in such a crisis you have just put yourself and family in danger!!!!
the mother is grateful for the gift of food for her baby she is so pleased she tells her boyfriend who then has a brainwave!!!
he thinks "if this guy up the road has baby milk, what else has he got???" so he spreads the word around his tribal comrades of dead beats, aka street corner lager holders!!! and that same night your house is raided and you may end up badly beaten or worse and your stocks which you were willing to share has gone!!!
so what do you do, what does human nature dictate? prepping is not about how much you can store its about knowing the nature of the beast!!!
the human animal!!!
so what do you do? do you stash and keep it secret. or do you share and risk your own demise??
I once asked my neighbor if there was a severe emergency and they had the power to help 5 people on this estate who would you help!!! and she did give me a list of names but my own was not on it even though I have helped her and her family time and time again!!! just makes you wonder about the mentality of some people!!!
the question is a very broad area...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE