Doomed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well the Franklin expedition also thought they had got it aced, latest food technology, years of supplies in tins, and much good did it do them in the end.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The food was fine, it was the lead from the hand soldered cans that killed them off.

" Scientists that did autopsies on these frozen bodies preserved by the permafrost found lethal levels of lead in their bodies and also signs of pneumonia and tuberculosis. The source of the lead was thought to be badly lead soldered tin cans which were a new invention at the time and almost all the crews provisions were canned. However, other Royal Navy crewman at the time ate the same provisions elsewhere and seemed to have no ill effects. Another possibility, and a more likely one is that the ships of the Franklin Expedition were fitted with converted railway locomotive engines which required an estimated one ton of fresh water per hour when steaming. Because of this the ships were fitted with a unique water system which, given the materials in use at the time, almost certainly produced large quantities of drinking water with a very high lead content."

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
" Scientists that did autopsies on these frozen bodies preserved by the permafrost found lethal levels of lead in their bodies and also signs of pneumonia and tuberculosis. The source of the lead was thought to be badly lead soldered tin cans which were a new invention at the time and almost all the crews provisions were canned. However, other Royal Navy crewman at the time ate the same provisions elsewhere and seemed to have no ill effects. Another possibility, and a more likely one is that the ships of the Franklin Expedition were fitted with converted railway locomotive engines which required an estimated one ton of fresh water per hour when steaming. Because of this the ships were fitted with a unique water system which, given the materials in use at the time, almost certainly produced large quantities of drinking water with a very high lead content."

So, lead from the cans and the water supply! Poor buggers, must have been like drinking London water.

The Mountain House meals I tried were pretty good to be honest (for a dried meal), pretty much standard with US hikers, Spam is versatile :)

All the Filipino Nurses I knew love Spam, must be the big American influence I guess. One night shift one of the girls bought in Spam bol...chunks of spam in a tomato sauce with pasta and wolfed it done.

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
The Mountain House meals I tried were pretty good to be honest (for a dried meal), pretty much standard with US hikers, Spam is versatile :)

I ordered the sample pack of dried meals,i have tried three so far the spag bols chillli and the egg breakfast.alll i can say is lets hope the world aint doomed,there was more fat and gristle in the meat ones than was acceptable.

i have done expidition trips on MRE meals and could eats these ok but the MH ones are only for survival in my opinion.

:(

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
lets face it with the cost of dried meals they are not a very cost effective option you would be much better off buying an air rifle of getting a SGC or gun licence and living of bunnies or in a post apocolyptic UK whatever animal came close enought to get a shot at or alterntivly a fishing rod
:AR15firin as for high calorie food to keep you going certain breads can last for months :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
lets face it with the cost of dried meals they are not a very cost effective option you would be much better off buying an air rifle of getting a SGC or gun licence and living of bunnies or in a post apocolyptic UK whatever animal came close enought to get a shot at or alterntivly a fishing rod
:AR15firin as for high calorie food to keep you going certain breads can last for months :)

Not much food in bunnies ( don't like bunny so don't shoot them anymore), you have to hunt etc, and only good in bunny land. Dried meals are lightweight and designed to fuel up the body, ain't designed as a gourmet meal. Fancy carrying 14 days worth or MRE's on a non resupply hike? Fancy hauling a sledge load of wet food to last a 100 day Antarctic trip? Drieds food have their place. Quite a few here, me included dry food at home and great fun it is too :) I'd prefer a rehydrated meal than a chunk of double baked bread.

Bit of long life bread for you :)
http://shop.conserva.de/epages/es116266.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=16401946

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
Rik you are right dried meals have their place no doubt about it:)
I am just pointing out how diss appointed I was with the quality of the food in the MH packs :tongue-ti But I would eat them if needed:lmao:

I would love to do my own dried food I will do a search here and see what's involved:)

Problem is a lot of the rabbits now are infected with mixi my toasties.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You can still eat myxied rabbit. As long as the meat is cooked properly its fine. Obviously the desire to eat a myxied rabbit is never high but if it came to a situation where there aint much else to eat then it wont do you any harm.

Also you cant live off of rabbit alone. You will die slowly as the meat does not have or contains too litte of certain nutrients and fats the body needs. There is evidence of this happenenig to a group of trappers ( hudson bay iirc)

Problem is a lot of the rabbits now are infected with mixi my toasties.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The "shoot/eat bunny" survivalists are in for a bit of a shock - I gather around 60 million bunnies in the UK, and 60 million people, so on average one each! Now breeding them for food, along with chickens, makes much more sense!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The "shoot/eat bunny" survivalists are in for a bit of a shock - I gather around 60 million bunnies in the UK, and 60 million people, so on average one each! Now breeding them for food, along with chickens, makes much more sense!

I've been saying exactly that for a long time friend. There are over fifty thousand people within a few square miles of where I am, and I'm in a rural area. You're simply never far from a population centre in Britain.

We live shoulder to shoulder on this very overcrowded little island these days, thats the harsh reality. Ally this to the fact that the bunny population has been hammered over the last twenty years, and I think a lot of people are in for a fright if it ever came to it.

Thankfully though, I don't think it ever will.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Simple fact of the matter is, without modern technology we simply could not sustain the current population in many many areas.

Both food and drinking water would be severely limited to the point where people would steal to feed hungry families, the people who they are stealing from would want to protect their sustenance so killing would become the norm IMO.

For a model you really don't have to go to far back in time.
The world population in 1950 was around 2.5 billion
In 2011 it's estimated to be around 7 billion
1850 it was around 1.3 billion

Even if there were enough food and water, without modern medical technology the infant mortality rate would rise dramatically.

Around the mid 1700's it was estimated that there was a nearly a 75% chance of your child dying below the age of 5.
This went down to around 30% in the early 1800's
In 2010 it was 5.7%

If the world plummeted into another dark ages you've got to recon on at least 1/2 the worlds population dying within 15 years.
Ironically locations in the 3rd world would not change too much, but high density populations in and around major cities would be dramatically hit.

I think there are around 12 million people living in the area around London.
Lets say they need 2 litres of clean drinking water a day, that's 24 million litres .

An Olympic sized swimming pool holds around 2.5 million litres.
So Londoners would need around 10 Olympic sized swimming pools of water per day, just for a bear essential living, pretty much a JUST about surviving water supply.

With food lets say 48 people ate between them 1 cow per week, that's 1/4 a million cows per week needed just to feed Londoners alone.
Sounds like a lot of food, but after butchering your lucky if you get 250kg of cow after butchering, so that works out around 5kg of meat a week for each person IF we can find 1/4 million cows a week in and around the London area.

Then there are things like waste disposal, basic cleanliness etc.

Something monumentally catastrophic would have to happen to get to that stage, but still i does make you think about how easy our lives have become in comparison to our ancestors.

Cheers
Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE