1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

don't look if you're a bit squeamish- first deer!

Discussion in 'Fair Game' started by Clouston98, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Clouston98

Clouston98 Woodsman & Beekeeper

on a car ride four miles from our house we found a dead fallow deer, he was still warm to the touch and his blood had not even coagulated. We had driven on the same road at seven the night before and he wasn't there then though we knew he had been killed this morning. An old farmer asked us if we planned on eating it and when I told him he said good because if we weren't he was! It had been hit in the head so all of the body and guts were intact and he was in great condition. I took him home and in one of the barns there are the remains of a potters kiln from a potter who lived here years ago. I hung him by his hind legs from that so he was suspended above the ground so I could work on him. Knives freshly sharpened I opened him up, I punctured his bowel a bit but I managed to get that out before it leaked on the Carcass and the rest came out fine. When remove his heart and lungs, his heart was still warm to the touch and it was a cold day at about 8 degrees so we really knew he was fresh. I didn't bother taking pictures of his entrails as they weren't particularly pretty viewing. Guts and all out I set about skinning him- unfortunately I had no means of preserving the hide so it had to go. It needed up in a few pieces rather than whole but there was one big bit that would've been good could I have tanned it. Then I set about removing the ribs and the shoulders, then the saddle and was left with the two hind legs (or haunches I believe they're called?) I cut the ends of the legs of - leaving the bits with useable meat on and I cleaned them up taking the sinew and unwanted bits off. I did the same to the shoulders and haunch to leave me with the lovely venison at the end. We probably got about 8-10 kilos of meat from him as he was only young but I count that as pretty good! He came out rather well- I'm no butcher but I did a decent job and I was dead chuffed that I got so much from him. The majority is now in the freezer and one leg in the fridge for a roast tomorrow. After gutting, skinning and butchering it I can say that I'm still a 100% meat eater! I've had a great day doing it and learnt a lot more about the animal in the process - and I've got loads of wild venison to eat! Anyhow - here are the pictures:

On our lawn when we got him home:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Clouston98, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. andybysea

andybysea Full Member

Good job, you've certainly got enough meat to keep you going a bit.

3. British Red

British Red M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Blimey Cameron, you are turning into an impressive young man. Well done.

4. Clouston98

Cheers Andy :).

5. Clouston98

Ah cheers Hugh, that means a lot mate :).

6. Macaroon

Macaroon A bemused & bewildered

Good on you, Cameron, hands on is the only way you can learn that stuff; and more to the point, he wasn't wasted so that takes some of the sting out of what's otherwise a wasted life. The only thing I might have done differently would be to have hung the meat for a while, but it'll be fine to eat and a tasty young 'un!

Did you use the liver, kidneys and heart for anything?

7. Clouston98

Cheers Mac! And yeah I though about hanging it but I was a bit worried about it attracting rats in the barns so I went with it fresh- something I'll bear in mind in the future though. I've never been a fan of offal really but we wondered wether they. Other be a bit dodgy or what not so I left them out and went for the main meat- I will probably keep the liver in the future though and possibly kidneys too :).

8. sgtoutback

sgtoutback Nomad

9. Clouston98

Cheers mate :).

10. Cromm

Cromm Full Member

Outstanding, the only other thing you could have done was cut it's throat after hanging it up. Well done.

11. Clouston98

Cheers Mate! Another great tip for the next time (if I'm ever that lucky again) :)

12. Man of Tanith

Mod

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy
    Good work Cam
    I've butchered two deer in total one a muntjac and the other a roe.
    I watched a fallow deer being butchered last weekend but I was handcuffed to a tree so couldn't get a good look at the whole process (lomg story)

You gonna tan the hide too?

13. Clouston98

Cheers Sam! Unfortunately not mate, I didn't have anything to stretch or anything to tan with- so it's just ended up going. I do hope to try some tanning though :).

14. Man of Tanith

Mod

Could of frozen it for future reference ;)

15. Clouston98

Oh balls I wish I had now- so didn't think of that! Having said that though- my mam might have had a fit if I got hair all over the freezer :D. Now there's an idea - I need a chest freezer!

16. Niels

Niels Full Member

Good stuff Cam! Quite jealous of that meat supply. :)

17. rorymax

rorymax Settler

Well done, a very impressive first attempt.

The pics are really good also.

Out of interest, did you keep the ribs, I do not know if deer ribs are good for eating.

rorymax

18. cranmere

cranmere Settler

Nice, and it looks like you made a neat job of it. Deer liver is good, just make sure that it looks in good condition and doesn't have lumps and bumps on it. Keep all of the bones, they will boil up to make a good tasty stock.

19. Joonsy

Joonsy Native

You got some nice meat there Clouston98, well done for having a go with butchering it you did well, a little tip for skinning deer in case you ever need to do it again, if you loosen the skin from meat in the area around the belly flaps and the area where the inside of back legs meet the belly flaps you can then often peel the rest of the skin off whole without using a knife at all especially on a young deer (pull skin with one hand and wriggle/push fingers of other hand between skin and meat). I have had to deal with a few deer killed on the roads (and sadly had to kill a couple of badly injured ones). Usually the carcase was so badly bruised it was fit for dog food only. All you got to do now Clouston is cook it and eat it, enjoy your meal. ATB. :)

20. Man of Tanith

Mod

Folded and wrapped in a bin bag no hair I almost guarantee