Dog gone determination!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
When I was about 17 a totally emaciated alsation wandered into my garden. She was really friendly and starving so I fed her a little food and gave her loads of attention. Later, I called the RSPCA to see if thee was anything they could do as I assumed she was a stray dog. They took her on and I visited most of the next day. It transpired that she was owned by a local poor family who had been feeding her, not abusing her, but she would just have the food run straight through her. Turns out she had a stomach lining disorder, but a special diet and steriods for the rest of her life would sort it. After a couple of months she was back to fine health, and i would spend most days and weekends taking her for walks around the RSPCA grounds, until the day came that she was due to be returned to the rightful owner. Unfortunately he couldn't afford the expensive diet and medication, so to my joy, he let me have her. We had 5 great years with such a wonderful dog with huge personality. She cost a bomb to keep, but was worth her weight in gold, but eventually her illness progressed beyond treatment, and then her back end started becoming paralysed. Eventually I had to hold her as the vet did what he had to do, and it broke my heart for years thinking of that moment. Still does now, 10 years on. Sometimes, an animal is worth the expense, no matter how much it is.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
nice to hear that there are some folks out there that will help give a dog a home, and sod the money. mears seems to have picked a good couple to follow, hope they have a good life together.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nice story, no doubt about that and as a dog owner and lover I can see where they are coming from but......

This bit bothers me: "He was absolutely determined to stay with us - there was no way he was going to give up, even though his paws were bleeding and his claws were worn down to virtually nothing.", I mean if the dog was in that bad a state couldn't they have slowed down for him so he didn't have to try so hard to keep up? Surely it didn't take the cannine equivelant of the Battan Death March for them to realise how cute he was and that they wanted to take him home! lol :D

Bam. ;)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Spacemonkey said:
Eventually I had to hold her as the vet did what he had to do, and it broke my heart for years thinking of that moment. Still does now, 10 years on.

It never gets any easier,no matter how many times you have to go through it. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE