Dog bowl stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
A friend of mine, Red Fox came up with an idea for a stove based on one which uses two catering type dishes on top of each other. Instead of the catering dishes we used dog bowls. I found some stainless shim steel on eBay to use for the flue. I also made some stove jacks for our canvas arctic tents out of plumbers soldering blankets and Kevlar thread. This is what we came up with.

DSC_0254_zpslen4adl3.jpg

DSC_0226_zps192ckeho.jpg

DSC_0229_zps3fajg1qy.jpg

DSC_0251_zpseetp74te.jpg

DSC_0252_zpsoxle4dem.jpg

DSC_0263_zpsqspsiqpr.jpg

DSC_0264_zpsmqw7ejmm.jpg

DSC_0272_zpstvnqn5bs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty Von Porkchop

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I reckon it goes up:)

Indeed, up through the home-made stove jacks (which are pretty neat), but, as the saying goes; "what goes up must come down", this applies with flues as with most things. So, where does it go down too? There's a distinct lack of any sort of hole on the stove to fit it to as far as I can see, so, where does the flue go? :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Indeed, up through the home-made stove jacks (which are pretty neat), but, as the saying goes; "what goes up must come down", this applies with flues as with most things. So, where does it go down too? There's a distinct lack of any sort of hole on the stove to fit it to as far as I can see, so, where does the flue go? :)

I cannot see the hole for the flue either.

What size are those dog bowls?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Gents nice work :)

The only problem I see you having is the stove will not have the size and keep going in the cold and will need to much tending .

Twodogs

I think they will only be used for a bit of fun to be honest. They are only being fitted in small one man tents so hopefully they will provide a little comfort either before bed or in the morning and also to help dry any wet kit.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice.

Had a similar idea with the catering dishes a while back, using gastronorm pans. Seem fairly cheap to acquire via caterers/restaurant suppliers.

Also come in different depths, so could have a really deep one for the top half, and a shallower one for the bottom, with an ash grate sandwiched in between.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve got two dogs bowls that I keep in my Dutch Ovens, they get used for mixing bowls, cooking dishes, washing up dishes.. lol, I may get a couple more now and have a play :)...

Reactions: DocG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE