does size matter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2015
Cardiff
So I was thinking to Myself, I need a new bag, something light, waterproof and not too expensive.
right now I have my para/burgen. I do find this to be a little to big for just one nighters.
My question is what does every one use for their backpacks? need to be comfortable for long hikes and usefulness to house all my gear.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
I approach it from a slightly differnat angle in that I don't think man can have but one bag. I have a large bergan, a 45l bag and a smaller 28(ish) sized bag. These cover all eventualities I've faced.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Para Bergen I use for 4 nights plus and a 40 litre for 1 to 3 night trips, I have an old NI daysac but looking to change the NI bag. Still enjoy using th external frame for long trips

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Packs are very personal and finding the right combination of sizes and back lengths is a lifelong quest. I currently own around a dozen backpacks ranging in size from 8-120l. I need a lot of different packs for work.

Each pack serves a different purpose. The choice is dependent on your budget and back length.

I generally consider a 35-40l bag to be a day pack and something larger for multiple nights with extra food and water needed.

If im going ultra light then I'm down to 10 litres.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
There are many factors in play when choosing a pack and finding a balance between the romance & reality of Bushcraft wanderings is a personal struggle all here face at some point. The quiet minimalism of the inner survivalist to "take what you need to survive and nothing else" versus that of the Gear Junkie screaming TAKE ALL THE TOYS :headbang:!!!

For a 2-3 day trip most of the time you will find me with a 35L pack.. but it's a tight squeeze. Depends on the conditions and where & what I am doing.

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
for a solo one nighter i can get away with very little if i strap the tent and sleeping bag on the outside. 20 litres is fine. When camping with son where the little ******* won't carry his share I've discovered that for a couple of days 40l didn;t give me room for the food, even strapping two sleeping bags and the tent on the outside. I do like to cook proper fresh food when out, mind you.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Your ability to pack to high density also has an influence. I know someone who can pack his 21 litre Scout pack with as much stuff as I usually need a 40/50 litre pack to carry. Weight winds up pretty close, its just my bag has the feel of bread dough and his has the consistency of cured concrete! I too go with the three bag approach, although I have wound up with more bags and closer overlap with a 40 and a 55. Either one makes for a pretty good over-night, depending on weather and shelter. 20-35 seems a good day bag size for lunch, rain gear, water, and optics/cameras. Doesn't need to be packed too tight at that volume. I have done summer coastal path day walks with 15litres (that is what the bag claims, but it looks more like 12), but some gear ended up lashed to the outside.

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
Your ability to pack to high density also has an influence. I know someone who can pack his 21 litre Scout pack with as much stuff as I usually need a 40/50 litre pack to carry. Weight winds up pretty close, its just my bag has the feel of bread dough and his has the consistency of cured concrete! I too go with the three bag approach, although I have wound up with more bags and closer overlap with a 40 and a 55. Either one makes for a pretty good over-night, depending on weather and shelter. 20-35 seems a good day bag size for lunch, rain gear, water, and optics/cameras. Doesn't need to be packed too tight at that volume. I have done summer coastal path day walks with 15litres (that is what the bag claims, but it looks more like 12), but some gear ended up lashed to the outside.

what gear do you need for a day walk beyond water and a rain coat?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
For a few nights out im comfortable with a berghaus centurio with side pouches. If i pack light during summer i get get my kit + food into a munro daysack easy.

Its much better to have a larger pack and have a bit of empty space than a small pack full to bursting.

Never trust a pack to be waterproof though, always use proper drybags and ideally double pack. I use an ortlieb bag as the main outer bag, then inside that break kit down into smaller coloured exped bags like these here. That way if its lashing down and kit spills from the main bag it doesn't really matter, saves digging around too as you just pull the colour you need out i.e. cooking kit, spare clothing, food, bag & bivvy etc..

Tonyuk

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Berghaus for all your needs:

36490556511_0c309eb229.jpg

Two to go for the full set. :lmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
what gear do you need for a day walk beyond water and a rain coat?

Depends on the length of the day, and where I am walking. Three or four hours ambling around local woodlands in the Chilterns isn't the same as eight hours walking across the Lake District fells. YMMV of course. In the woods I might want cutting tools, I might be carrying a brew kit just for fun, I might be packing a guide book (birds, trees, foraging). I generally want to carry some binoculars and a camera, and want them to be accessible and favour attaching to pack waist belts or carrying in waist pockets. On that costal path walk, binos, and camera were carried on the outside of the Kifaru Tailgunner lumbar pack. A litre water bottle, lunch and a light fleece pull over took up all the internal space and when the day warmed in the afternoon, my jacket got strapped to the top.

I generally like to take food, ideally packed in bags so it doesn't keep taking up space once contents is consumed.

In the Fells I might well want some waterproof trousers and a water purifier rather than just a collapsible water bottle. Maps and associated nav gear is usually not carried in the pack, but it is nice if there is room for it when it isn't in use.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
It's almost no shame to lash gear to a smaller pack as tarps and cooking gear don't mind getting wet and the Tornister style is good example of this.
I say almost because you will see this occasionally
540x360.jpg

and here's a Swiss variant fully loaded
swissT.jpg

The actual pack is quite small, in many respects comparable to a modern Laptop-bag.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yeah but what's your favourite of the big 100 litre plus bags. ( that will tie you down or flummoxe you)

Depends, The Vulcan is tried and tested, my first one lasted a full Military career and beyond. I replaced it purely because another was going cheap.

The Centurio 90/20 has a floating lid to increase the capacity further.

I have modded both for an extra side pouch to the front too. :eek:

I have yet to see and try the Atlas.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Owned a Vulcan throughout my army career until the issue plce arrived. It was good and held a lot. Not sure about the other 2. Guess it's good for you to have them all and change them about on different trips. Just me being sad hanging on to my old para Bergen with a modded waist belt attached 😀

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
I Had a Vulcan, great bag, unfortunately sat next to some chemical leakage that didn't agree with it.... replaced it with a Karrimor 75 and a couple of pouches, its ok, plenty of options, side straps for if you ever carry light!.. given the chance I would swap straight back to my old pack, but I'm not sure whether that is me being old, cantankerous and not liking too much change, or just because I seem to know were everything was, I could load up super fast, I had modded the pockets to fit my extras as well, I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for this bag.
I have four add on side pouches for the Karrimor so its around the same litre age, but somehow it doesn't flow so well as the Vulcan.

as I hardly get out overnight now I am not that bothered, but when I start to get more ME time, and I have a one year old grandson now, who hopefully might be allowed out with the old crazy Grandad at some stage, I may well think about a change.

my advice is to go and physically get it on your back with something in it, try it with a coat on, and in a thin shirt, make sure you get the right back length if your planning yomping round, and don't rush into anything just because it seems a deal, bags are personal, make yours just that, after all it should serve you well for a couple of decades at least.

only my opinion, no offence meant, and I'm sure all the other bags and content are good.

Adam

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So I was thinking to Myself, I need a new bag, something light, waterproof and not too expensive.
right now I have my para/burgen. I do find this to be a little to big for just one nighters.
My question is what does every one use for their backpacks? need to be comfortable for long hikes and usefulness to house all my gear.

Multi day trips - Exped Lightning 60 ([thread=138101]review[/thread]), day trips, Exped Typhoon 15 (review RSN).

J

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Love my sf45 but it really is the minimum I can get away with. If heading to a permission I usually end up with an additional tool/book bag as I am rarely more than half hours wall from a car. Sometimes wish I had gone slightly bigger. The sf75

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE