DIY Leather Belt Knife Sheath (couple of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

My first thread to share a really simple MYO leather sheath for the Frost Mora or any similar fixed blade knife.

1) Started with an old leather belt - the kind you buy in spain off the looky looky man for next to nothing. Important thing is that it needs to have stitching along its very edges.

2) Measure the total length of the knife including its handle 15mm and doubled this amount to give the total length of belt required.

3) Unpick the thread from the edges of the belt. Retain the thread if you are really keen on the REUSE mantra! Otherwise, sling it and get some fresh thread - make sure it is pretty strong.

4) Fold the end of the belt back over itself to make a double thickness of leather, equal to the length of the blade plus 10mm. This extra 10mm allows the entire blade to sit inside the sheath without its point touching the end of the inside of the sheath. It will also make it easier to insert the knife right up to the hilt (or whatever it is called on a knife).

6) Using the old stitching holes, thread 3 times through each hole, in a kind of super running stitch, towards the fold. Secure the end of the thread in any way you like (I'm no seamstress so I just tucked the loose end inside the sheath). Repeat for the other side. This completes the blade protector.

7) With the blade protector part complete, insert your knife to make sure it fits properly (if it doesn't you'll have to unpick and start again). Turn the sheath over so that the knife pouch is on the worksurface and fold the loose end of the belt back down towards the hilt of the knife. This will form the belt loop.

8) Get out the needle again and thread from the open end towards the new fold using the same super running stitch. Stop when you still have plenty of space left for a belt to slip through. Repeat on the other side.

9) The sheath is complete. I reckon if you are careful when reseating the blade to ensure that the back of the blade is snug against the stitching, this sheath should last a good while.

There's plenty of scope for modification of the design to suit any blade that will fit inside the width of the belt your are using. You might also want to include a retaining strap, but I stopped right there. It holds the blade nice and snug and looks more than acceptable (so long as you prefer function over fashion!).

Here is the finished sheath:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46800023@N03/4293358811/

If anyone can tell me how to get my flicker image on here without clicking the link, then please tell me now!!! :confused:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey great idea and worth the time to do....

why not try to overlap (width ways) the top section to make a whole sheath to contain the handle to.

just an idea but gret as it is.... chris..

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I have two thoughts on this sheath technique:
1) you could increase it's longevity by putting a rivet at each side of the mouth, so it's not hitting the stitching.
2) having made simmilar sheaths (from webbing type material) I find that they tend to tip over on the belt, as they sort of fold along the belt loop. does leather do this also?

Hi all,

Not sure if the handle would fit inside, or am I missing your point lannyman?

Rivets would definitely improve the life of the stitching but I wanted to use just the original components for a completely free item. I vote rivets for a permanent product though. As for folding over, I've yet to test it but it seems stiff enough. I suppose that the stiffness of the leather used in the original belt would dictate the level of 'floppiness'.

I'm gonna find a way to house my little Swiss army knife with reused goods now.

Where's the cat? Lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE