DIY Folding Spork.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

The idea for this spork comes from a post over on BCUSA by the aptly named Spork :) ( Dave ) .
Knew you guys here a BCUK would like it .

DSC03287Small.jpg

Sporks idea is really great and not hard to make, would be a good addition to a Hobo stove set up too.

I made this one from Tescos cheapo stainless cutlery and used a copper saddlers rivet as the hinge.

DSC03292Small.jpg

DSC03288Small.jpg
DSC03291Small.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Erm....
While my views on Ti sporks are well known (I prefer to carve my own sporks out of wood...) and the view that a Spork is one lightweight implement that takes the place of and does the work of up to 3 (badly) why rivet together 2 perfectly good implements of food movement to make one which is more unweildy?
Is it to increase the overall reach of the eating tool (for dining with the devil?) or have you saved weight by reducing the length of each handle by a significant amount to save....grams (a fork cut from a branch on site weighs nothing...).
The majority of us carry a knife so one of those is not needed - and not included on your implement as it is in most Sporks - and the knife we carry is capable in all but the most incapable hands - which yours are not or you would not have been able to make your implement - of cutting a twig from a tree, debarking it, sharpening one end and (if you want to get fancy) cutting in a notch or two to make multi tines.
Such a woodland fork can be disposable or reusable, fancy or a plain stabber and is free, is easy to clean and helps you learn carving techniques...

I am not knocking your workmanship or "Sporks" ingenuity.......just asking "why?"

but then I do not get the idea of sporks in general ....except for eating noodles or Spagetti I find that a fork is rarely needed in my camp kitchen and while I do have a couple of sporks - hand carved - I rarely use them or even carry them now.....

It looks like you made a nice job of your folding spork though :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....except for eating noodles or Spagetti I find that a fork is rarely needed in my camp kitchen and while I do have a couple of sporks - hand carved - I rarely use them or even carry them now.....

couldn't agree more with your other comments john but.......erm......chopsticks?

cheers

stuart

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
the plastic spork pictured works best for me :) I like the ingenuity of the design, but it looks a good oz heavier then the placci one. I find both the spoon end and fork end equally useful, a spoon is useless for lumps of food like sausage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE