DIY Canvas & Leather pack (pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I have finally finished my own canvas and leather pack :) It is a project I have had in mind for years, and just had to get it made as it was also my first sewing machine project. I had some help and guidance from my mother-in-law to make the pocket, but the rest was done by my own fair hands :)

The pack is a solid square construction with one front pocket sewn on. All made from canvas upcycled from an old army tent ( thanks Sal ;) ) All the trim is reindeer leather I took back from Norway, the shoulder straps are tough sealskin, and the rest of the straps are some of my best cowhide pieces. The base is veg tan cowhide hand stitched on, with a solid leather base inside the bag too to give it more structure. All buckles are solid brass.
The main canvas body was machine sewn, and the rest was hand stitched with artificial sinew. All weak points and straps are reinforced with solid copper rivets (40 in total!). It also has two detachable side pockets which are a rolled canvas dump pouch construction. These were an afterthought, as I had been commissioned to make some, and these two were my first test pieces. When rolled out then can be attached at the bottom to a strap to stop them swinging around and have a drawstring and pop stud closure at the top.

P1000633 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000634 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000635 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000641 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000646 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000652 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000653 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000654 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000655 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000656 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000658 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000660 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000661 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000662 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

P1000663 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

I am dead chuffed with this pack. I wanted it as a handy daysack, with some of my finest leathers as another wee gift to myself before I start my new job and have less time for leatherwork. The size of it was kept quite small, so that it sits high and doesn't rub the scar on my tailbone. I also attached all the straps in such a way as to have plenty of attachment points for wool blankets etc. If I were to make another, there are things I would do a little differently, and I may still mod this or add extra attachments. But for now, I have had enough of packs! I am also building another one for my brother-in-law which I will finish this week and post up in this thread so keep watching ;) (pics of brother-in-laws pack on page 2 now)

Thanks for reading.
Hamish

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow!, the chaps at Duluth Packs will be getting their books if you go into production. That's simply stunning. I think Clouston will be along soon to make you an offer on it.:eek:

Love the fold away pockets and the mixture of materials sounds brilliant. Truly is a piece of art.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That is utterly amazing, looks like it'll last you a long time as well. I'm in awe.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very lovely piece indeed Hamish - the kind of thing you'll only love more every time you see it!

The pleasure of a well stitched piece remains long after the pain in the fingers is forgotten :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks for all the kind comments :) looking forward to this becoming my new day pack for work. My crusader mug fits perfectly in the front pocket along with a wee brew kit :)

Still working on brother-in-laws pack, should have that finished tomorrow to show you folks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE