Diablo- toastie, sandwich, pizza calzone, pancake maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I got this for Xmas, not used yet, so used it today. Lovely food:cool:. I tried two different pancakes.

One with -
  • Water
  • Mozzarella
  • Flour
  • Water
  • Mixed Spice
  • Spring onions
Tasted good.

One with -
  • Egg
  • Flour
  • Water
  • Tomatoes
  • Oregano
  • Carrot
  • Veggy sausage
Very tasty.

I cooked using cardboard in a fire bowl. This meant I had to keep turning the maker over, to give even heat. Ideally, it should be in a fire under ashes or on a BBQ. You can also hold it over a gas flame, trangia or in an Aga. It's very robust and is ~150mm dia. so enough for one person and has a titanium non slip coating. The lip is not airtight, to avoid explosions, but does not allow the mix to drip out.

The only criticism is that the wire loop at the end of the double handle does not spring on, so as long as you grip by squeezing both handles - which is how you hold it anyway - it's fine.

8/10.

Details http://www.thediablo.com/

Some pics below.

SU1BRzE3NTMuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzE3NTAuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzE3NDkuanBn.jpg

Last edited:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have a Rome pie iron which this thread has prompted me to retrieve and re-proof. I searched pie iron recipes and found a pdf version that I have printed off.
The Diablo is obviously shorter - mine has been cut down to fit my Wickes wanigan. And the Diablo also has a deeper bowl which will be an advantage too.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It's a vertical box affair with a 7minute timer, it then slides out. Seriously hot but tasty. I know this as a kid in my school works there.

Will post photo details of the device when I'm home, later tonite.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like these. There great with a simple cob.. sorry bread roll, filled with cheese and tomato.
Tasty quick and simple.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
ScotsCharlesRiver
I have just made the 'lemon meringue pie' recipe from the link above using lemon pie filling powder(mixed according to the packet) and marshmallows. It is a keeper so I shall take the ingredients on my next trip.

Tomorrow I'll try the 'banana cream pie' recipe and the 'breakfast pie' one.

Does anyone else have pie iron/diablo recipes to share?

xylaria

I picked up a double pan flippy thing in a second hand shop. i always thought it was some sort of fancy ommlette pan. i cook stuffed staffordshire oatcakes in it. Never thought to try anything else in it. I give it go now. i have took it camping for 24 hour camp where we lived off oatcakes, a camp pizza sound good.

Last edited:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Brought one from a trade show about four years ago use it loads for toasted sandwiches and omelettes got to be carefull when doing several as keep burning my fingers on the handle lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE