Depressing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I was out and about this weekend having a jaunt around my favourite spots, and could not believe the mess people leave. Rubbish (including soiled disposable nappies) , fires and so on. There have been two prominent headlines in the press about it as well, and the key targets for their criticism are; wild camping and camper vans. As usual, a small minority spoils it. One of my long time enjoyed areas is now a no go as a result of these idiots. My answer would be, if you take it there by vehicle, then take it away in the same vehicle, or if you dont, then risk getting your vehicle confiscated. For me the countryside is a wonderful luxury to be enjoyed and respected, and left the way you found it.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
If I find somewhere untidy, I'll leave it better than when I found it.

I frequently do this at play parks, while my kids are playing I'll quietly go round and pick up the inevitable bits of rubbish that are lying around.

Reactions: Nomad64 and Fadcode

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
If I find somewhere untidy, I'll leave it better than when I found it.

I frequently do this at play parks, while my kids are playing I'll quietly go round and pick up the inevitable bits of rubbish that are lying around.
That's litter. I'm talking "skip lorry".

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
its like this menace of "fly tipping" totally disgusting.
On the other hand, why are there no longer litter bins in lay-bys, answer Cost, litter bins need emptying daily, let the rubbish mount up, and send a crew once a month to clear it, big cost saving.
When's the last time you seen a working phone box out in the country, an AA Box a RAC box, its all down to cost, unfortunately
Most villages nowadays are kept clean by the residents because they cant rely on the council ( or the private firms) .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When I worked as voluntary ranger on dartmoor we were always having to clear up nappies and other filth, barbecues tins bottles newspapers etc from beauty spots. It was always worse at Bank holidays.
Where I am now it's the bagged doggie doo that is thrown in the hedge or even hung on branches! Why go to all the bother of bagging it only to chuck it in the hedge in a plastic bag??? Grrrrr!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Where I am now it's the bagged doggie doo that is thrown in the hedge or even hung on branches! Why go to all the bother of bagging it only to chuck it in the hedge in a plastic bag??? Grrrrr!

Yep, this really hacks me off. One bag hung on a barbed wire fence, gatepost, branch etc leads to more in the same places. It’s as if, as it’s been done by one person, it’s now a designated and acceptable place for others to leave their dogs poo. I’ve seen about 20 hanging on a gate latch up on the Goodwood estate and an article in the local Valley Diary about pushing the local council to provide dog poo bins and general rubbish bins. :banghead2:

Why, when people camp or picnic, when people take on a dog, or have a child for that matter, not take full responsibility for it? I’m sure when they arrive at their location for a dog walk or picnic they’ve chosen to go there because it’s a nice country spot. It’s a strange mentality that expects a place perfect and pristine, but leaves it soiled for others. :censored:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Dog poo ! It's a real problem. We have a pedestrian cut through to the shops. Free doggie bags and disposal bins each end. There is still dog do on the path! I've started a trend to spray each deposit with pink paint to highlight the problem. I notice someone else has joined me in this . Kids use it to get to and from school. Not pleasant if a buggy wheel goes through it and spreads it . Think of all those dangerous germs being brought into houses on buggy wheels and shoes.
Nasty! :(

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Spray paint is really bad for the environment. Dog poo is a nuisance for us humans. Nutrition in the natural chain.
Better if you just flick the poo to the side of the path.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's very narrow and you often have to step to the side ( and into the flicked aside poo) to pass someone. I don't carry a poo flicking stick with me. I did once pick up every bit of poo I encountered in a week and take it to the parish council offices. They were not happy with two carrier bags full dumped on their desk .:)
The idea of pink paint is to highlight the problem and warn others it is there. Also pink stands for the embaressment they should be feeling about their disgusting behaviour. :poop: :cussing:

Reactions: Lou

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Spray paint is really bad for the environment. Dog poo is a nuisance for us humans. Nutrition in the natural chain.
Better if you just flick the poo to the side of the path.

Whoops, Banksy’s in trouble then. :27:

Why do I, Woody girl, or anyone have to flick the poo of someone else’s dog???

Spray paint, in the quantities needed to highlight a dog poo have no real effect on the environment. Do you drive a car? Well it’s been sprayed, along with thousands of others. I think you’re probably trolling again, we’re not painting ships or cars en masse here or operating a spray shop. I’ve marked hundreds of trees with a simple colour coded dot or slash, generally so the person working on it knows whether it’s to fell, reduce, top etc. This is kind to the environment, excessive reduction and felling by overzealous tree surgeons was a problem.

On site as tree surgeons clearing powerlines, one of the first things we did was spray pink tree marking paint on the turds. There’s no way we’d be picking up after the irresponsible owner, but dragging ropes through it is disgusting, I’ve held part of a knot in my mouth before only to wonder what was on my hands and lips. So is it getting it into the tread of your boots which often go where your hands will be too. The pink spray paint will be seen by the owner, and the owner will know it’s been noted.

I saw a recent news story about potholes in the road, a guy was spray painting a classic bus stop willy around them. The potholes were repaired within days.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If somebody is 'trolling', it is you.
Cars are painted with waterbased paint these days. You are not aware of that?

Taking the effort to walk around a spray painting dog poo or flicking it to the side is about the same effort.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor

Ah so that is why my neighbour went out in a red car and came back with a silver one last week when it was raining. I thought he'd got a new car. :)

Taking the effort to walk around a spray painting dog poo or flicking it to the side is about the same effort.[/QUOTE]

And if you don't see it because you have poor eyesight or pushing a buggy while keeping an eye on a toddler?
In this very rural environment you see a pink dog poo whereas you might not see a brown one on a brown path..
I personally as a mother grandmother and strong environmentalist, would much rather suffer a small blob of spray paint than see my kids go blind or suffer a miscarriage due to toxoplasmosis thank you!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If somebody is 'trolling', it is you.

Taking the effort to walk around a spray painting dog poo or flicking it to the side is about the same effort.

Well aware, yes, but thanks for patronising me. Most smaller sprayshops still use a lot of chemical solvents from spraying to cleaning the tools, nozzles, degreasing etc. As do many other industries. The usage of possibly bad for the environment chemicals is everywhere. We seem quite happy to burn panel wipe in our stoves, burn Trioxane and Hexamine, run a car etc but you reckon a quick squirt of paint is damaging? Really? It let’s the dog owner know their dogs poop has been seen, and warns other users. Why the hell should anyone have to find a stick and clean up after someone else’s dog, children, their parents, or the usual idiots who seem to be able to carry all their beers and food in, but unable to carry half a loaf of Mothers Pride and their empty beer bottles out?

You’re completely missing the point Jan. Nobody should have to clean up after irresponsible others, whether it be a dog poo, a nappy, a tin can, bread bag etc. This is the point of the thread, and it has absolutely naff all to do with a squirt of pink spray marker.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Do not worry, it is mainly spread by cats or badly cooked food. ( I still like my fish raw, my beef rare and my lamb pink!)

It is sad that dog owners leave the mess where people can step on it. THEY should move it to where it does no harm.

Yep, OEM car paints ( manufacturer done) are water based. Because of that they do not last as well as the old, nasty stuff.
You should see what un and the salt does to car here, would make you cry!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Spray paint, in the quantities needed to highlight a dog poo have no real effect on the environment. Do you drive a car? Well it’s been sprayed, along with thousands of others. I think you’re probably trolling again, we’re not painting ships or cars en masse here or operating a spray shop. I’ve marked hundreds of trees with a simple colour coded dot or slash, generally so the person working on it knows whether it’s to fell, reduce, top etc. This is kind to the environment, excessive reduction and felling by overzealous tree surgeons was a problem......
As a former aircraft painter and structural mechanic all industrial painting (including auto body painting shops) are licensed and co trolled environments. The pollutants are contained and capture. At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work, however i seriously doubt it’s as effective as we were taught. That said, the biggest contribution to pollution from spray painting was, and still is, precisely from spray cans. In my case mainly because they’re so prevelant and unregulated in the aviation industry and from what you said, just as prevalent and unregulated in your industry.

But you’re right, it shouldn’t be your responsibility to clean up somebody else’s mess.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Yep, OEM car paints ( manufacturer done) are water based. Because of that they do not last as well as the old, nasty stuff.
You should see what un and the salt does to car here, would make you cry!
No. They’re not water based. Although modern paints do emit less VOCs and they are lead free.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nice65, with your reasoning it is seems to be pointless to try to be environmentally friendly as a person?
As you drove to the forest where you camp, it is OK to burn that plastic bag?

(I might have misunderstood you?)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE