Deleting threads?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Once replied to I don't think you can remove a thread. I did read on another forum that you can demand their removal under some section of the data protection act and the forum owners are obliged by law to remove the posts for you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really ? I'd be interested to read the legalese that backs that up; it totally contradicts the rules and guidelines that folks agree to when they join forums. The general concensus is that posts 'belong' to the forum because otherwise they end up with horrendous holes and non sequiteurs in threads and they make no sense.

We do tidy up some threads for folks, usually sales ones (multiple sales ones can end up a real snarl) but it's usually simpler just to close the thread and let it sink into the stratigraphy of the forum posts.

Best advice if you wish to remove something like a thread is to contact either Mods or Admin.
If it's a too much personal info type post, we usually delete it and edit the thread to make sense; if it's sommat daft (and we all post without thinking sometimes :eek:) then tough luck :rolleyes: mine are still there too :sigh:
The forum is just a conversation, and it ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous, from the incredibly helpful to the very human ooops.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Really ? I'd be interested to read the legalese that backs that up; it totally contradicts the rules and guidelines that folks agree to when they join forums."

You can't 'sign away' your legal rights Mary, the forum rules are insignificant compared to laws. I'll try and dig out the relevant sections, with the software used here it might not be easy to delete threads but you can 'hide' them so it does the same job. I came across this on a prepper forum and the posts did vanish but as I have since chosen to leave that forum all I can do is ask a favour from a mate who is still a member.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really don't think that something one posts in a public forum, that can be copied by someone else if they so desire, can be totally removed. At least left in it's original form the context is also preserved.

Johan's the lawyer and he's away to the Moot, but I'm pretty sure that the agreement that folks make when they join the forum holds in most situations. Anarchy doesn't rule, it just causes total confusion :)

cheers,
M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just go into "edit" and delete all your text in the thread and type in "thread deleted" then save it :)

Just so that people are aware, the right way to go about this is as Toddy said, contact a Mod or Admin, people that delete all their text take things out of context, it's not so bad when there are no replies but as soon as people start replying it's a bad move.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE