DD Ultralight question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Does anyone here used the new Dd UL hammock with net?
Before i order, i want to know more about the bug net when attached.

Looks to me that the tighter the hammock ridgeline, the further from your face the net will be, but am i right in thinking that a taught line will alter the lay?

I always tension the hell out of my hammocks because i prefer a flat lay, but i fear this will result in the bug net being just off my face.
Opinions please (from experience).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've used a few hammocks with the same system and my current Exped Scout Combi has one too. I've never encountered a system that will change the lay. Most mosquito net tension systems that are integral are elasticated and lack any strength to alther the way the hammock hangs.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I don't have the DD hammock, but I do have a Grand Trunk Ultralight, which is similar in size (9.5 ft). The DD videos of their lightweight hammock and net follow conventional wisdom of having a 30 degree hang angle. i.e not pulling the hammock taught, but having a deep bend in it. This allows a diagonal flat lay. To have thatlevel of sag, the hammock ridge line should be about 83% (5/6) of the overall length. On a 9' hammock (2.70 metres) that comes to 7'6". On my 9'6" hammock that is about 8'. IMO, this is good for a really comfortable, flat diagonal lay. It would also keep the bug net a reasonable distance above your head. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to pull the hammock taught as it increases the strain on the suspension cords and the hammock material enormously, but you must hang your own hammock. If the hammock is flat, then you will have a 2.70 ridge line and the net will be right on your face. If that is the case, you might be better using the standard DD bug net which is suspended apart from the hammock and can be high above your head.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
The reason for a 30 degree lay is also due to the forces applied to the suspension system. At 30 degrees its the same downwards force as the weight being held but at you get closer to horizontal the weight is increased exponentially. The 30 degree bend also happens to be the most comfortable for a diagonal lay and you don't get any shoulder compression.
If you want the bug net off your face just use a ridge line

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Or to be precise,the same weigh as the total weight in the hammock along EACH of the suspension lines. That's trigonometry (see, you should have listened in school, you never know when it will be useful). The vertical downward force remains the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE