DD Tarp Question - Setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Most of the time I see DD Tarps setup so that the ridgeline runs through all 5 loops but I have never seen it rotated 90 degrees so that only 3 loops are used for the ridgeline and the 2 loops on the side used to expand the area/headroom under the tarp. Similar in a way to the image below.

Is there a reason for this and would it add much room/headroom? I haven't had the time to go out and try this yet but I am just wanting to get an idea of other peoples opinions.

campmor_tarp.jpg

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have not set my 3x3 up in the way shown above but going by the numerous posts on a hammock forum about adding extra pull outs to aid not so much head room but shoulder/working room..... that said they generally pull up and out not out and down as in the pic..... they idea is of value.

Rob.

I have not set my 3x3 up in the way shown above but going by the numerous posts on a hammock forum about adding extra pull outs to aid not so much head room but shoulder/working room..... that said they generally pull up and out not out and down as in the pic..... they idea is of value.

I think that could easily be done and as you say would add a bit of shoulder room. I guess you could just guy it out to two trees at a higher angle or to two poles.

Even guyed out like that it will help to prevent the sides from billowing in when there is any wind.

That was one of the thoughts I had behind it. So I may try that out next time on a windy night and see how it works. Usually I tie down the loops at the edges in the centre of each side when it gets a bit breezy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE