Dave Budd knife making course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi, I just got back from one of Dave Budds one to one courses and thought I would write a review, I am not conected to Dave in any way just a customer.
This is a three day one to one course, you get Daves full attention for three whole days, he dosent even stop to eat.

Day One
This is the day you forge the blade. The day starts with drawing the knife you wish to make on Daves black board (I chose to make a simple 4" drop point), lighting the forge and a talk about different fuels and forges. Then its all about the steel, carbon of course. Dave usually sellects the steel for you depending on experience and the type of blade you want to make. As the forging starts Dave forges a bit then you follow, I should mention out at this point that Dave make a knife aswell to the same drawing as yours. When you have forged the shape and style of blade you are after then you move on to the heat treatments. I wont go into detail here but you are walked through every step.

Day Two
Now that the blade is finished, but not sharpened. Its time to put the handle on, this can range from a simple stick tang to a fully shaped full tang.
I decided to cover my stick tang with Yew, Pear and leather. All the tools you could want are provided and yet again every step is talked through and demonstrated by Dave. After finishing the handle we left it to soak in linseed oil over night.

Day Three
If you decide to stay for the third day (its worth it) then its the day to make the sheath and sharpen the cutting edge. first you have to decide on the style of sheath you wish for your knife. I chose a pouch style for mine, Dave made the same for his knife to. The leather is wet formed and stained. Once the stiching is finished its time to sharpen the edge, the rough bevel is ground in lightly then its on to the water stones to refine the edge. Finally its stropped and you can test you finished knife!

dave013.jpg

This is the knife I made with Daves help.
[http://
dave014.jpg

I have to say that I really enjoyed myself on this course and the knife is great well to my eyes.
Anyone thinking for going on this coure with Dave should give it a go I know you wont be disapointed, every part is made by you but there is no shortage of help and advice from Mr Budd. This is not one of those couses where the days are half full, this course is packed with teaching.
In conclusion I would have to say Top notch:35:

Thanks Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds brilliant :cool:
Lots of learning and attention to detail, reinforced with relevant example and practical application :approve:

Besides, the knife looks pretty sound too :D

Thanks for the review.

cheers,
Toddy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
glad you enjoyed yourself Mark :)

you did really well and have come away with a very good knife that you should be proud to use ;) Such fast work on day one that we had time to do some decorative filework, wander around the woods and get a cup of tea before the pub opened!You're also welcome back anytime.

We started off with a 1/2" round bar of steel, couple of blocks of wood and some scraps of leather to produce our knives.

here is the picture of our knives next to each other, under dodgy orange light as we finished off the sheaths.

mark20090010web.jpg

and a smug-shot of mark using his new knife for the first time :bigok:
mark20091.jpg

good job!

Last edited:

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Nice work Mark :) Dave's a top bloke and really knows his art intimately. You can't go wrong with someone that passionate about what they do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE