Dartmoor 24 Hour Rat Pack Challenge....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Right!! Please read, this is a 48 HOUR CHALLENGE!! With a 24 hour rat pack.......

Hello, good people, i have an idea for a bit of fun, i propose a challenge for up to 6 people, including myself that is.

You will arrive at a secret location, a small private wood, i have exclusive use of, on the edge of Dartmoor, to exist purely on a British army issue 24 hour ration pack (supplied by me, coz i am nice like that!)

The Rules, ( i will make most of these up as i go along and my decision is final,although i will consider input and ideas, especially if i have forgotten something!)

We meet at a designated spot, the rat packs will be distributed, no choosing menus, pot luck as they will be covered and sealed.

We will then walk to the wood, approx 1/4 mile, and set about our monumental survival test!

You can only take with you what you can carry in one trip, you are allowed one luxury item eg. Tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, fizzy drink etc, but it must be carried in the one trip.But no other foodstuffs and that includes chocklit!

Once you have opened your rat pack, you can swop items with other guests, if it suits.There is running water at the site, but a lot of it is field runoff, so i would suggest boiling/steritab or carry your own, all in the one trip.

You are not allowed to leave the wood for the 48 hour period (medical emergency, homesick are excused)

Sounds easy i know, a lot of people that come to my meets don't leave the wood for days, but most need to go to the shop, or walk etc.There will be no leaving site.

There is firewood in abundance, and we will have one central fire, all litter and waste is to be taken away or burned.

There will be a kit weigh in, and the member of the group that come lightest, most minimal, and is judged by me to have coped the best, eg making own cutlery, and other bushy things will win a small prize.

I am running out of things to say now, so the first 5 people to confirm, have a place.

There is a £5.00 charge (for the farmer, unavoidable)

And just the date to decide, but it will be in the next month, so pleas bear that in mind before putting your name down.

Any questions etc, just ask.

Ivan...

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds like a hoot, Remember no resorting to cannibalism and don't let that dude come who killed his dog after three days! Your mutt is too nice to be eaten anyway.

Hope you have fun, sounds like a fun time will be had by all.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sounds like a hoot, Remember no resorting to cannibalism and don't let that dude come who killed his dog after three days! Your mutt is too nice to be eaten anyway.

Hope you have fun, sounds like a fun time will be had by all.

Good points there mate, that reminds me you can bring a hound, and neither said animal or their food will be weighed!

Ivan...

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I'd love to go, but the Missus has been in slow Labour for nearly two weeks.
I do think I'm a bit too competitive for this, I'd take myself out the comp, then I could really enjoy my 24 hours playing Devils Advocate. Why one fork from X was better than the fork by Y. It's got an extra prong, simple.
It's a good idea, right up my street, unfortunately I can't go.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Mad as a badger you Ivan, think we would get on. Just wish I was closer.
Good luck with it.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Mad as a badger you Ivan, think we would get on. Just wish I was closer.
Good luck with it.

Always grateful, for a compliment, thank you kind sir, should be a bit of fun, and of course a serious test of one's survival skills!

There are only 4000 calories in those packs you know, and they are specifically designed for 24 hours!

Just hope there are some tough cookies out there up for it, come on!!!

Ivan...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I do like the sound of that could be interesting...... I will watch with interst....

And may copy the idea for the suffolk group... :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Always grateful, for a compliment, thank you kind sir, should be a bit of fun, and of course a serious test of one's survival skills!

There are only 4000 calories in those packs you know, and they are specifically designed for 24 hours!

Just hope there are some tough cookies out there up for it, come on!!!

Ivan...

I'll take your word that there's about 4000 calories in the British rat pack. But you said a substitute would be 2x American. Do you mean the MREs? If so, those were designed so that 3 of them would equal about 3600 calories. Two of them would only be about 2400 calories. And that's only if you mean the full MREs; I believe the smaller patrol rations are even less.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Just out of curiosity is the challenge to last 24 hours on 24 hour ration pack? its it not more of a challenge to last 48 hours on a 24 hour ration pack? there is a lot of food in them packs.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I'll take your word that there's about 4000 calories in the British rat pack. But you said a substitute would be 2x American. Do you mean the MREs? If so, those were designed so that 3 of them would equal about 3600 calories. Two of them would only be about 2400 calories. And that's only if you mean the full MREs; I believe the smaller patrol rations are even less.

OOPS! Silly me, the American MRE's have now been withdrawn from the challenge, don't want anyone wasting away.

Thanks Pal.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Just out of curiosity is the challenge to last 24 hours on 24 hour ration pack? its it not more of a challenge to last 48 hours on a 24 hour ration pack? there is a lot of food in them packs.

Hi Tank, yes you are right, but as i said earlier my rules and they are subject to change, so as to make it a proper test.

It will be 48 hours, so think before you commit, gentlemen.

Ivan...

Rules ammended, in OP, and American packs removed..

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi Tank, yes you are right, but as i said earlier my rules and they are subject to change, so as to make it a proper test.

It will be 48 hours, so think before you commit, gentlemen.

Ivan...
Opps sorry guys. Have a nice time, but sadly i cant make this as its a bit to far to go.

and i think i am washing my hair on this day.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Couldn't one person eat a couple of the MRE's? Can't remember how many you said you had...

The point was that it would take slightly more than 3 MREs to equal a 4000 calorie count. They weren't designed to be a 24 hr ration as such but rather for each MRE to be an individual meal.

It might be interesting to do this challenge more than once. The first time with the British rations and again later with the equivalent in MREs, and still again later with yet another time with another county's rations (such as the Canadian IMPs)

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I dont see the challenge here.........unless its the old ration packs.

Ive spent weeks on exercise living of about half a rat pack per day (as the old ones were rank and mostly inedible)

LOL

Good luck gents, ive not tried any of the new menus yet but have heard very good things......like actual flavors and real meat!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE