Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
lots of us will have read of American scouts relying on little equipment to discover the America we know now. these men have always been an inspiration to me and I thought that a challenge would be a good homage to them.
my challenge is this. with the following generic kit list spend two consecutive nights out. construct aleast one camp gadget. survive. enjoy yourself.
disclaimer-this is being run by me not as a moderator but as a member. bcuk has no connection to the challenge
kit list
2 wool blankets or one bedroll.
waterproof tarp.
knife
axe or saw. only one of them.
flint and steel.
tinder box
water bottle
billy can.
cup.
spoon
food
lighting preferably candle but torch is ok.
basic water filter. ie mill bank bag or the likes
rucksack to carry items in. more kudos to those who do not use a pack

if for whatever reason you cannot have an open fire either a stove or fire box is fine.
if water is not safe or readily available at usual site then an extra five litres is permitted

safety items
phone.
first aid kit
camera to take photos

there are NO prizes this time it's a challenge not a comp. it's for fun. please consider personal safety at all times doing this challenge if it's too cold or miserable there is no reason to slog it out unnecessarily. sufferings not why we go out to play
anyone game for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hmm, I like the sounds of this one. Count me in but I'm not sure how soon I can do this one. Possibly the first week of March or some time after...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
First week of March I'll be in South Wales, might be a bit damp yet to be larking about Dan'll Boone style. I'll see nearer the time but do I enjoy these type of camps. It'll happen when it warms up slightly if not that weekend.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes, done that more than once. Walked distances which was the reason why Boone was out there creating routes such as the Wilderness Road. I didn't pioneer any routes of course in England but used ancient trackways and cooked on small open fires lit by matches. I never thought of flint and steel until the last few years. Looking forward getting back out there again with a more primitive kit. About the only thing made though was an improvised pot hook.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Should we limit the food to being only the types of food they had available to carry? I think that would play the biggest part in capturing the essence.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Should we limit the food to being only the types of food they had available to carry? I think that would play the biggest part in capturing the essence.

You read my mind, I was thinking expeditionary pork, parched corn and some veg for my food. Make cowboy coffee rather than take instant, that sort of thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE