Dangerous Things In The British Outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As of late I have become very aware of dangerous things in the uk countryside. A thread I have just read is about peas of some sort crippling people permanently, but that is about consuming plants (or animals) you don't usually consume, and have activley participated in eating.
Everyone knows the dangers of fungus and certain shellfish.

But I was most shocked to learn of Limes Disease, it didn't seem like a disease of Britian in the modern age, more belonging to the Victorian era.

Also blue green algae in places like the Lake District, known to kill dogs and horses, and some reported cases in Brazil of death in humans. You cannot boil it away as its a toxin like mushrooms that kills and filtering is not reliable. Certain types of filter may encourage the use of standing water, but I wouldn't rely on one to filter such things.

Toxic moulds and fungal infections are also quite lethal, although I do not know of cases in Britian , in the states houses can become overcome in such mould, and leads to respiratory problems and death.

So are there any other potentially unlooked for dangers in the uk that may be life threatening other than consuming unconventional foodstuffs.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you are so fearful keep away from straw-farmer's lung, bracken-cancer, grasses-ergot, ad nauseum. Best to stay in doors where most accidents happen along with poisoning from bleach and carbon monoxide.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And most murder victims are the prey of someone they know... Sometimes through the internet - Mwahahaha! :evilangel:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...most shocked to learn of Limes Disease..."

I think you mean Lyme disease? I have had it, I'll probably catch it again one day, know the symptoms and get early treatment, as for the rest, seriously? The world can be a dangerous place, but usually isn't for most folks in this part of it, stop looking at your computer, get out and have some fun.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Seriously though there are dangers out there, I think that between 3 and 5 farmers are killed a year by sheep headbutting them whilst treating their feet against fungal infections. But its all a matter of scale and perspective. I'm safety conscious and regularly read the Darwin Awards to stop myself doing something stupid. The old joke of the most common last words of idiots being "Watch this" or "This'll be good" comes to mind.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I eat unfamiliar wild foods. I sleep well in my bedy knowing full well I have serious risk of dying from eating familiar shop bought foods and alcohol I eat every day, heart disease, stroke and other diet related disease is far more common that coming a cropper from experimenting with gorse seed.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Living_zpsb04ee123.gif

Living kills more people than anything else!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think you mean Lyme disease? I have had it, I'll probably catch it again one day, know the symptoms and get early treatment, as for the rest, seriously? The world can be a dangerous place, but usually isn't for most folks in this part of it, stop looking at your computer, get out and have some fun.

Hold on, I'm pretty sure I had Limes disease after an afternoon drinking Mojito's, I felt ill for 36 hours, pounding headache, nausea, dizzy spells etc... Very nasty.
[h=3][/h]

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk

I thought once you had contracted lyme disease that was it, you had it for life. It was just a case of managing it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I thought once you had contracted lyme disease that was it, you had it for life. It was just a case of managing it.

If untreated the nasty flu type symptoms will go away but your health will deteriorate over time. If treated with the very specific type of antibiotic at the time of infection all will be well. You be treated long after the event but the damage done may not be so easily repairable.

It is also worth bearing in mind that prior infection does NOT provide immunity from reinfection in the future.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Laugh whilst ye may!!!

There's a man on this forum who, if he told you half of what he knows of THE BADGER, would frighten you all into an early grave!!! Be Warned!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE