Customizing a Bell Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr. F

May 2, 2012
Coaley, Gloucestershire
Hi there,

I've acquired a rather knackered 4m Bell Tent. It's got a fair bit of mould and mildew staining aswell as a shed load of little holes so I've come up with an idea to make it useful...

My plan is to chop out the groundsheet and then cut off the side walls. At the top I'll then cut out some vents so that I can have a fire beside/around the pole in the centre.

Basically turning it into an open sided shelter for cooking and lessons to take place.

My question is...Has anyone done this and does it work OK? Any recommendations or advise?

Cheers,

Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Could it not just be well scrubbed with something? Holes patched.
Seems a shame to cut it up.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Little holes aren't a problem - small blobs of silicon will fix that. I read somewhere to treat mildew/mould with vinegar? Does that sound right, or am I thinking of fish and chips!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Pics would help but I don't see why it wouldn't work. As previously mentioned bit of silicon or go mental with some patchwork for the holes ;) also maybe remove ground sheet but definitely dont cut out the walls. You could always attach poppers or Velcro and just roll the walls up and down as and when needed. Kind of like a gazebo?

Mr. F

May 2, 2012
Coaley, Gloucestershire
Apparently White Vinegar rubbed into the stains will get rid of the mildew and other marks.

It is riddled with holes, but I've found a supplier today that can send me some canvas so I could repair them all.

No photos as yet as it's drying out in the local Scout hut.

Perhaps I'll wait a bit and try to repair it one weekend.

Was just wondering if someone had tried making a bell tent into something interesting. If anyone has then please let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE