Curly Birch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Hello all,

Forgive my ignorance but I can not seem to find any information about this.

Well any ways this is my question. Is curly birch a sub species of silver birch or is it just silver birch? I've worked with a lot of silver birch and never seen any with the same grain patterns as curly birch.

Thanks All.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's some opinion that the curly figure is the result of a virus infection. There's some opinion that it's a rare combination of genetics. Happens in several species of maple (Acer sp) in North America so I have doubts about the genetics notion. I've seen more than 600' of 6/4 paper birch, about 5-8" wide. Nothing but straight grain and ho-hum figure.

The appearance certainly commands a premium price but there may not be enough money in it to encourage any more formal study.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hello all,

Forgive my ignorance but I can not seem to find any information about this.

Well any ways this is my question. Is curly birch a sub species of silver birch or is it just silver birch? I've worked with a lot of silver birch and never seen any with the same grain patterns as curly birch.

Thanks All.
Now it is known that it is a genetic abnormality . Of the second generation about 70% have it.
In Scandinavia they are thought to originate from the Karelian Isthmus. Very rare.
There is one forest in Sweden where the majority of the Birch are curly bitch, and it is protected by law.

Not all of the wood on the tree have to display the curliness, sometimes only the "tumors" / growths on the trunk.
Most tumors / growths on birch trunks in Sweden are not "curly", just display a wavyness in the wood fibres.

As a note, the wooden vesells of past ( including kåsor) were made from these non curly growths.
The curly variety contain areas of bark inside the wood which would make the vessels leak plus they are very rare.

Masur Birch ( the correct name) is even used by one Japanese kitchen knife company for the handles.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I always use Brisa. They generally have good stocks and bulk packs if you want better prices. The masur birch is also graded in quality, again good if you want a cheaper or more special piece.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I as I mentioned there are two distinct types.
Curly birch have the fibers doing swirls, no straight grain. When fine sanded and lacquered / oiled it looks very besutiful, msrble like.
Those tumors I have seen on several tree species all around Europe. I am not dure what causes it, but I yhink a light damage to the bark can be one cause.
I have a lump of Italian Cypress waiting now for over 40 years to be used.

The Masur Birch has those small areas of dark bark inclusions, plus the grain is too swirly. Also beautiful, but difficult to work with.

The Same people nåmade lots of stuff from those tumors, as the wood does not crack or split. But hell to work with!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Ooops! I must have had my wife in my thoughts!" :rolleyes:
we knew a guy called richard kerley who is very up himself, pretends to be radical, in fact is as establishment as they come - nickname? curlydik

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE