cubs trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My son came back from cubs last night, they went to the woods this time which is something they do occasionally [when I was in cubs we hardly ever went out, but then I was in more of a city troop, ... anyway] He came back with a lump of wood in his bag, he took it out and said "do you know what type of wood this is".

Now I know very little about plants, flowers, berries etc but I do know a birch tree when I see one.

He looked pleased and said "yes that's right!"

I asked if the leaders had told him that.

"No" was his reply

"Well, how do you know it's a bit of birch then?" says I

"Well, that's what it looks like in .........

MINECRAFT!!!"

I really wasn't expecting that reply :)

and I'm not sure how I feel about it!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I know what you mean about a slightly uncomfortable feeling about this sort of thing....but the way I see it, we do have to move with the times sometimes and at least he is able to relate what he does in minecraft back to the real world in a confident and interested way. :)

While I don't condone too much time gaming for kids....I also remember playing beep tennis on a black and white portable with a weird twisty top joystick and thinking it was the bees knees lol :)

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I had a similar problem when teaching, the kid had no interest in stone age technology until I mentioned obsidian as a flint alternative.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE