Trip Report cubs camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well had a weekend out with the cubs a while ago, was a little wet and fairly nippy but everyone was happy. Some extra sleeping bags were produced for those who were cold the first night.

A practice run at putting up some tents a week before the camp...
BNMdSgJ.jpg

[leaders were in the big shelter at the back :) - well we might as well live like Bear :)]
My poncho tent and the other leaders tent, he just wanted to see if he had all the bits for it rather than turn up on the day and find poles missing :)

Cubs tent village on one morning there were 100 or so cubs...
TBXUtUj.jpg

The white tent right at the back was the cook tent. Blue tent foreground right was the first aid tent. Our cubs tent was the bright green one in the centre, you can just see the to of it.

The base our group was running = shelters, we unfortunately got the windiest spot...
uyqz31f.jpg

We had the parachute a couple of tarps to be put up and made a few natural shelters, one of which became quite elaborate over the weekend. We had coffee all day and traded with the bananas and chocolate cooking base just up the hill.

This is the view I woke up to from my hammock...
BsGwrKf.jpg

It was nice to get out, the photos were taken by the other leader, I wasn't organised enough to document the weekend!

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Mousey
Great to see some cub camp pictures.
We took cubs on camp this year and also did shelter building. We did different tarp shelters.
We printed off a poster we found of all the different tarp configurations (a lot more than I thought) and let them choose.
We also taught them the Prusik knot. They loved that one as its so simple to do and great fun to play with.
It was great to see the cubs realising that in an emergency you could find something as simple as a piece of plastic sheet and make an emergency shelter.
Chalkflint

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
They really enjoyed the natural shelters thing and it was good to see them thinking about how to get the various bits of oddly shaped wood interlocking together. They ended up being strong enough for them to climb on top of. It was also good to see others coming along to add to and improve something already started.

It s something the higher up people want to do regularly, we did a 100 year camp in 2016, which had 500 or so cubs and that was mental - enjoyable but mental. So once a year or bi-annually they want to do a camp for the cubs. The local scout group is awesome and the leaders all have their tickets to allow them to take the scouts out and they have connections to various woodlands / estates around the area so they go maybe twice a year, but that's just their group so maybe about 10 go.

I've recently got an action camera but need to get into the habit of actually using it!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The first picture was a practice setup for the leaders tent [Although I disappeared into the deep dark woods with my hammock] this was at the local manor house [Duff house]. The other images were taken at the site [Daviot Aberdeenshire] which belongs to the local scout group.

The last picture is Bennachie which would mean it was actually taken towards the evening, not the morning as previously thought.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
We did the 2016 100 year camp as well. All the cubs in Oxfordshire were there 1500. As you said "enjoyably mental". Some of our cubs had never been away from their parents before but they did us proud and really got into the spirit of it.
Will be doing some backwards cooking next week at the scout hut. I have made some Swedish candles and they will attempt to cook on them.
Chalkflint

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Cooking seemed to be one of the favourite activities, so I think we'll probably do some of that soon. Last time we asked the cubs the scientist badge came out on top, which was fun to do experiments - I kept on getting moaned at by the hall cleaners for leaving a mess! - pasta and marshmallow bridges, non-Newtonian fluids were the messiest, we did clean up and use dust sheets but if the cleaners actually had to clean anything they moaned :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE