Crusader Cooking Unit question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I mean one of these...

crusaderl.jpg

...could anyone who owns one, please tell me what the distance is (an estimate will do) from the bottom of the fuel crucible (or even the floor) to the base of the crusader mug when it is in position?

Many thanks.
Martyn.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hi Martyn

Mines approx 2 inch at best- I have two slightly differant size cookcups.

Works well though, good kit in my opinion.

Chris :wave:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Ahhhhh! Wondered why,

Just tried my trangia fuel pot with it, a no go for mine - a good idea though.

Would be interesting to try a trangia fuel pot sat on a standard hexy cooker unit using a cookcup frame/holder,if you know what I mean - if I can get my hands on a hexy unit this weekend I'll give it a try and let you know.

Chris

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
the last Tommy cooker i bought had a pressed steel crusader cup holder with it ,it just sits on top of the unit and has a blank stamped out of it to hold the crusader, i think all the MOD tommys have them now :?: works well folds down to nothing.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Excellant - thought it might work.

I'm going to give it a go next week, after I've got my hands on a Tommy cooker.

Chris :wave:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I really like the look of the crusader cooking unit, especially as it all fits in a water bottle pouch. But esbit tabs suck. I saw this... http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistoveinstruct.shtml and thought it should be possible to make one which stands 1" high, that would give 1" clearance to the base of the crusader mug. That should be enough for it to work properly. I'm going to have a go at building one of these cookers, if I can get one to work and it'll run for at least 5 minutes without a refill, it should work well with the crusader unit. Although the cookers are fragile, it should be possible to keep it in a crush proof pellet tin or similar, for carrying in a pocket.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I may have mentioned it before.. But I made about a dozen of these things over the period of a week or two one time. Hacked the tins up, punched holes in them wih the Leatherman and then just lit 'em off....

Brilliant they were, I was considering serial production. As a "green industry".

Anyways, one evening I got the tools out, did a really nice one, drilled nice even holes, sanded it off, sealed it with tape... Looked really "pro".

But would it light? Would it fup!

Gone off them a bit since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE