Country Innovations Smock Vs SASS Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Help the title says it all.

Having just come back from a trip where the smoke and the sparks from the fire seemed to seek me out I was getting paranoid about my non fire friendly kit coming back a bit battered!!

I was looking at this a while back but have decided its time to bite the bullet as my birthday is due and I will get some money towards it.

I prefer the pockets and price of the SASS but the overhead design and cut of the Country Innovations.

Having read the blurb about the fabrics I find myself confused they sound very very similar!!

It will be used for mainly bushy type things and canoeing etc walking the dogs and general woodland type things. I would value some comments from you folks if you have experience or either or both.

Many thanks

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I rate my Kestrel very highly but then you knew that already didn't you, no experience of the SASS though so hard to compare for me.

I get the feeling it's going to be a lifer but if it ever wore out or something tragic happened to it I'd buy another straight away.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I know Rich I was having a closer look at it at Lomond the hood and cowled collar look excellent and I actually prefer over the head designs hence me owning a Paramo Smock and the Montane.

I am only considering the SASS due to the pockets and the price. Otherwise it would already be ordered. I want something I can wear over the Montane Smock for colder weather and thought the SASS might be more roomy.

The fabric bit has me scotched too as they appear similar in all but name.

Cheers

Andy

I have the SASS jacket and it's a great bit of kit. I've worn it in heavy rain with a Swandri underneath and I stayed completely dry. The coat itself was wet and had stiffened somewhat, but was still comfortable and it dried very quickly next to the fire. As I understand it, the fabric used is very similar to Ventile in all but name (and before all the Ventile fanboys jump on this comment, I know it's not "exactly" the same) and it just works. I'd recommend it for sure.

Last edited:

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have the SASS jacket and it's a great bit of kit. I've worn it in heavy rain with a Swandri underneath and I stayed completely dry. The coat itself was wet and had stiffened somewhat, but was still comfortable and it dried very quickly next to the fire. As I understand it, the fabric used is very similar to Ventile in all but name (and before all the Ventile fanboys jump on this comment, I know it's not "exactly" the same) and it just works. I'd recommend it for sure.

You had to mention it dident you:eek:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi

I found out that the country inovations shop is 5 min from my house. I am going there tomorrow on my day off(other stuff I have to do permitting). My intention is to have a look at the kestrel smock for myself.
I will let you know what I think.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Better buying both Andy.:D

I have a Kestrel,I cut out the neck thingy bit too create more ventilation(I run hot).
I do like overhead ones though.

I have a full length opening jkt too,by Bison bushcraft.

Tom.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Better buying both Andy.:D

I have a Kestrel,I cut out the neck thingy bit too create more ventilation(I run hot).
I do like overhead ones though.

I have a full length opening jkt too,by Bison bushcraft.

Tom.

I dont think I could get away with that Tom I am already skating on thin ice to do with all my kit been strewn all over the house.

Question though do you find you wear them for different reasons? ie do you prefer the full zip for certain acitivities etc.

Rich........... cheers for that if you dont mind it will help in the decision making process.

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
just to confuse you further Scrogger dearest, dont forget the lovely Hilltrek ventile, now theres a fine made ventile top if ever there was one, go on it will go lovely with your new Duluth bed roll.lol

Col...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yes,I use them for different activities.
Well,I mean sometimes it's just for ease of taking on and off and/or ventilation in light showers if you follow that drift.

Mind you I've also got an old Snowsled over the head that zips down to the stomach nearly.
It's a classy old thing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Tom.

I've thought about that as well Tam but then it's also nice to have it when the winds blowing and I can tuck my chin(s) away.

Good shout about the West Winds Col, might be worth PMing Tony about the BCUK ones Andy, if he's clean out at the moment then the Airedale is the same pretty much. I think the BCUK one was tweaked a bit with some double layer parts and maybe some extra pockets but I'm not too sure. Full length zip but a cracking coat from what I've seen of Stephens.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi

I found out that the country inovations shop is 5 min from my house. I am going there tomorrow on my day off(other stuff I have to do permitting). My intention is to have a look at the kestrel smock for myself.
I will let you know what I think.

OK Guys an Girls
I went to the country inovations shop today and had a good look at the Kestrel smock, unfortunatly they were out of stock of my size a large.(both medium and large are out of stock until 12th April). However this said they did have an xl which I tried on.

The smock is extremly well built and seems to be very tough.there is some kind of black linning on the inside which adds to its weather proofness.
The current model has zips down the sides to make it easy to get in and out of ,the zips look to be well sealed and tough.
It is clear that this smock is designed for country pursuits like birding,stalking of bushcraft and will last a long time. That said if you are doing a lot of treking and high energy activitys then you may want to look for a smock without the linning ie westwinds as this is lighter to carry and I think may be cooler to wear.
I own a westwinds and will carry on using this for treking long distances with a full pack but most deffinatly will be going back to the shop to buy a kestrel smock for use with all my other outdoor activitys on the 12th.

My summary is that this is a great looking product and from my inspection seems to be very much up to the job that is been built for.
I will leave another post once I have brought one and tested it.
If you are planning to order one and are unsure of your size due to the fact that most smocks are quite big and you are sometimes recommended to size down then dont worry with the kestral as the sizing seems spot on a large is a large and a small is a small( the xl I tried on was as I would expect an xl to be)

Last edited:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thanks for that mate it was nice of you to go and check it out. I reckon the Kestrel is looking to have its nose in front at the minute.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE