Cornwall Holidays

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi All.

My wife, my daughter (6 months old) and I are planning a holiday in Cornwall in April. It's probably a bit early to be taking a baby camping but I wondered if any Cornwall natives could reccomend nice B and B's around the Tamar Valley or in Bude?

The vision is somewhere close to a beach for walks and stuff. We'd also maybe like to got Padstow (Rick Stein Ville), the big greenhouse thing and maybe Helagon.

Can anybody make any recommendations or offer up advice?

All help massively appreciated and if we bump into you when we're down I'll stand you a pint of Zoider or whatever it is you drink down there.

Warm Regards

Rob

:cool:

Oct 15, 2009
Hampshire
Treyarnon bay. www.treyarnonbay.co.uk, perfect unspoilt beaches, caves and rockpools, great coast path walks, handy for Padstow. Been going on and off since 1976, used to go off season when we lived in Plymouth, amazing light and sunsets even in winter. Have a good time wherever you go.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i stayed in bude last year but it was high summer so we camped on a good site had about 5 fields and we had one to ourselves for the week as we never needed a hookup so it was great.. padstow wasnt too far away(which was very nice) and we went over bodmin moor etc never made it to the eden project though

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
the big greenhouse thingy (Eden Project) has a good website , and had loads of stuff going for the kids when we went last August,...

even a guy from some bushcraft place doing a firecraft demo,,,,with a crowd of about 4o people round him,....

Rick Steinville is ok for a wander and a £9 bag of chips on the harbour , but i reckon lost its quaintness due to the Rickstieniness of it,....

theres even a "Rick Steins fashion emporium" or something,... i took a picture, it was full of jumpers and sensible sunday trousers,....

In short for us (i have a young family) we go to Cornwall in August and we have 2-3 weeks touring beaches and finding nice places to camp and play in the sea,..

the commercial side we try to avoid,....

Hope you have a good time,....

Stu

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
even a guy from some bushcraft place doing a firecraft demo,,,,with a crowd of about 4o people round him,....

He was there in early July as well, didnt like it much when i got a coal quicker than he did - oops

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
He was there in early July as well, didnt like it much when i got a coal quicker than he did - oops

yeah i was being a bit clever too,..hahaha i dint have a go with the bowdrill but i did answer all his questions really quickly,....much to the annoyance of the "tutting Dad" in front of me,....

did you play with the water pumps and guttering too??,...and the den building??

i had a right laugh , the kids had to beg to go home,....

but i had a two story robinson crusoe affair going with en suite ,.....and about 30 other kids asking for a bedroom extension like mine,....

my kids just sat and watched me shaking their heads,....

hahahahaha

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The den building we passed on as it looked, well junk tbh, apart from the fact when we were there is was lumping it down with rain so it was packed out, the water pumps were flooded out the day we went and we couldnt get near them - lol, some other guy there asked the bloke if he had done the hand drill "like what they do in the dessert mate" and was told it wasnt possible using UK woods, so i disagreed with the chap over this and told him it was, because i had done it using an Elder drill on a Sycamore hearth.

The two boys here were walking round the tropical sphere saying, we can use that, we can use that - lol.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
back to the topic guess, when we go down west we stay at a place called Clawford Vineyard www.clawford.co.uk, it's up by Holsworthy, we stay there A) because we like it, B) The owners are good friends of ours & C) we like to fish, it's not too far from Bude etc and the A30 is only 20 mins away giving you access to all of Cornwall, think it took us about an hour to get to the Eden Project, Bodmin Moor, Jamacia Inn etc are easy to get to, Dartmoor really easy to get to as well if you go the other way, it's always been a good base for us to work from.

Clawford is run as a B&B and you can stay in the house or one of the lakeside cottages, or you can go self catering, give John a call or a mail (tell him Spike sent you, he will know who i am).

hth's?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thanks for the advice Folks, we booked a nice place in Bude last night. I'd have taken you up on the offer otherwise Spike.

The eden project sounds okay to me I'm a gardener so it could be quite interesting. SWMBO is keen too. Does anyone know anything about Helagon?

Last edited:

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
Frankly you have to visit Eden if you're coming to Cornwall, the indoor rainforest is pretty damned impressive if like me you probably won't ever get to visit a "real" rainforest.

Heligan is nice enough, the story behind it is probably the most exciting bit rather than what is there today. To be honest I'd say there are better gardens to visit, quite a distance from Bude but worth visitng if you like that sort of thing:

Trebah Garden http://www.trebahgarden.co.uk/
Glendurgan (National Trust) http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-glendurgangarden
Trelissick (National Trust) http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trelissickgarden

Trebah and Glendurgan are on the Helford river, south of Falmouth and Trelissick is to the North of Falmouth, nr Truro. In fact the whole area is worth visiting.

If you're into walking, the whole cornish coast is there for you to explore, rugged atlantic beaten cliffs with secret coves and lovely pubs on the North Coast, or more tranquil, lots of rivers to explore and secret coves with lovely pubs on the South Coast.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thanks for the links, they are very much appreciated. Glendurgan looks right up my street - not too formal. The place we've booked in Bude is a stones throw from the South West Coastal Path so we'll get a good walk on that section.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE