Cordura lined washbag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thought I'd see if I could make a lined bag with my new sewing machine. Followed a couple of tutorials on YouTube and using some very heavy duty zips, I made this:

washbag.jpeg

There's one spot where I missed the edge of the fabric so there is a slight hole but I'm buying some woven union jack labels so I'll sew one in there to hide my mistake :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Bushcraft Dopp kit .. Magnificent ... love it :) I have been traipsing about looking at options for this sort of bag for a long while now. Never really found anything that fits the bill properly or is affordable. But that one of yours seems to nail it.

One thing that I did discover (among several purchases and subsequent passings on) was a Tom Bihn Side Kick bag. Its about 3L and well organized. I got one in ballistic nylon, which I passed on (odd how easy they are to get second hand), but then another in this blue dyneema stuff .. .which is just great.

In the end, I do just wish that the Kifaru bottle holder I bought years ago was just a bit bigger. It'd be perfect: 1000D cordura, lined and mollied and proof against laser strikes. Kif should just own up a bit, take a page out of your book a bit and make a decent sized Dopp :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I must admit that one has the lining seams on display but I've since learnt to make them with hidden seams. It's a lot more difficult and even my industrial machine struggles when sewing through all the layers where the zip and pull tabs are but at the end you get to "birth" your bag by turning it right side out. Made one for a friend today with specified dimensions and it worked out really well, although I won't use pre-finished zips again as that made it extra difficult

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looking good!
Beware - sewing will become a serious habit!

It already is, John. I'm back up to 5 sewing machines now (!). I'd love a bartack machine but really can't justify the cost...
Love making little zipped pouches and was going to make an EDC style pouch but you can buy them so cheaply it doesn't make sense at the moment, apart from the practice. Next purchase will be a binding attachment for my industrial machine

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Having the extra high foot lift on the industrial is really useful but my old Singer 201K will go through most things with a little manual help. My plastic Toyota machine is rubbish but it does do buttonholes and doesn't take up much space.

My machines:

1) Singer 201K - mounted on industrial table and was powered by industrial motor until it suddenly blew up the other day
2) Singer 460/13 overlocker - mounted on table. Bought by mistake, but it was cheap and although I find it a bit scary, reluctant to sell it on, especially since I learnt how to thread it
3) Toyota RS2000 - normal domestic machine, keeps losing timing because I push it on thick materials but does buttonholes
4) Pinnock Sewqueen - vintage zig-zag machine. Has a lovely dial that displays actual samples of stitching length. £10 from an auction. Mounted in cabinet
5) Wimsew W246 - industrial walking-foot cylinder arm, on table with servo motor - awesome piece of kit - Pfaff 335 clone

I could get rid of the Toyota and do buttonholes manually on the Pinnock. I could get rid of the 201K and use the Wimsew or Pinnock for straight stitching but it's so damn lovely to use (and I've just ordered a treadle belt for it so I can put it back in the original cabinet for when the lights go out :))

I suppose I could just buy an industrial zig-zag machine and get rid of the Pinnock, the Toyota and the 201K but they're reasonably expensive...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an old Fischer Rossman that I have a buttonhole attachment for - awesome! - and that is what I use it for :)
A Husquvana Rose embroidery machine that has a gazzilion stitches, a Toyota Super Jeans that I have an equal feed foot for and save for leather work, an Aldi special that is a really good all rounder with umpteen stitches and a Singer and a Jones hand crankers ....it all adds up to most jobs sorted! :)
I regret the death of my industrial and then my domestic overlock machines though...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've been quite lucky in my purchases so far. One of the industrial machines I bought (by accident) cost me £50. I kept the table and motor and sold the machine for £50. It was a BlindStitcher felling machine - no use to me. Motor started smoking and went pop the other day - no idea why. Hadn't used it for a couple of weeks but it was as soon as I switched it on for a fairly lightweight job. It's all the bits, bobs and accessories that cost money. Was given a massive bag of fabric from a friend and there are some lovely bits in there for linings etc. I buy commercial thread spools which work out at a fraction of the cost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE