Cookware options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Hi all! Apologies if this has already been covered.

Essentially; If there was one piece of cookware you could not do without, what would it be??

I pack light and I'm just getting into camping. I'm looking to get a titanium camp mug to do everything with as a cooking/eating/drinking vessel. Any advice or experiences that'll show up the folly of my ways or steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any comments:)

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I wouldn't be without my MSR Titan kettle, had it for years and it ticks all the boxes for me. I've got other ti pots, but this is the one I always grab.
There's tons of reviews of just about all makes and sizes of pot, so just decide what capacity and shape you want, and get one. Ti gear isn't THAT amazing, so don't be blinded by advertising blurb. It has it's disadvantages as well. Sometimes aluminium is just as strong/light etc, and is nicer to use. One thing to watch for if you decide to go for Ti, the cheaper stuff like Alpkit, Tibetan, Toakes et all (they all seem to be made in the same chinese factory!) are made of a different (cheaper) type of Ti than MSR, Evernew and Snowpeak etc. It's darker and not as polished, soot seems to stick to it more, and it's not as nice to drink out of. Also the lids don't fit as well..

Last edited:

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Thanks for that, that MSR does look handy; I was also looking at an MSR cooking pot, but the titan looks better. Thanks for the advice on the titanium, I was looking at a Vargo; but after what you've said, I think I'll keep looking at alternative options. Cheers mate!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ans-c9/fire-maple-fmc-207-solo-cookware-p2852

I got one of these recently as a present, and I cook out at least once a day right through the year; this thing is as good as anything I've ever used and does everything for a great solo meal and brew.

After SS and Ti, you notice a huge difference in the cooking properties of Ally, the heat distribution is so much better; makes for better cooking and easier cleaning...............and only twenty rats!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a Primus Alutech kettle its pretty light and won't break the bank. I mainly use mine for pot cozy 'cooking' with an Alpkit myticup as a second cooking vessel. I recently got myself the MytiMug which may not look as pretty as the more expensive options but the functionality is just as good but at half the price. :)

My alutech cook set...

069_zpsd63540a4.jpg

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Thanks for the replies!

Macaroon, I was looking at an Optimus Terra cook set that looks very similar to this; I just didn't really fancy anything anodised; in a few years I'm looking to have a beaten up old pot that could tell some stories lol. But just to clarify, the aluminium cooks and cleans better than the others, or the other way around?

Copper_head, your little titanium looking cup there (with the sachet) is what I was originally thinking; do you ever put that straight on a fire? dumb question, but how hot do the handles get?

I've now been looking at the Esbit Ti cooking pot, basically a 750ml mug with a perforated lid, found one for £36.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My MSR Titan kettle rarely gets left behind, makes a good man sized coffee mug, can be used as a main pot and titanium doesn't burn lips.

My titanium foil windscreen from the bay is fast becoming well loved too, it works very well with alcy and small gas stoves.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Copper_head, your little titanium looking cup there (with the sachet) is what I was originally thinking; do you ever put that straight on a fire? dumb question, but how hot do the handles get?

Titanium disperses heat very quickly so I've not had any issues with the handles becoming too hot to handle. That said I've only used that cookset with a gas or meths stove. I tend to take use a SS billy pot and crusader mug for open fire cooking, but that might be me being a gear junkie :D.

fa71710b-5811-4fe3-8e1e-381d9df15d5e_zpsca7ebe54.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I was looking at an Optimus Terra cook set that looks very similar to this; I just didn't really fancy anything anodised; in a few years I'm looking to have a beaten up old pot that could tell some stories lol. But just to clarify, the aluminium cooks and cleans better than the others, or the other way around?

Is there any reason you don't fancy anodised? I'm really wondering because I have my eye on a similar Primus set (this one in fact)

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
No really good reason, it's just that the anodising will wear off over time, how long depends on the production quality. I would just personally prefer spending a little more on a lifelong faithful companion (still talking about the cup lol!), solid metal, no coatings; what could possibly go wrong.

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Like it. I hope not to have to melt snow for water :). That kettle looks just like the Esbit one I was thinking of. I reckon that's the way to go to meet my needs. Thanks for the advice mate.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ally doesn't get hot spots, the whole vessel heats up evenly so less chance of burning or overcooking, hence less cleaning;
these properties also mean you can do baking-type stuff, bannock etc., much more easily in ally cookware. I find the difference well worth it. :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Had my anodized pans for over 6 years and no sign of wear on the coating. Used them on gas, meths and open fire and no issues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE