Cooking without a pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scout Leader

Feb 1, 2011
Fife
Hi,

Does anyone have any good but simple receipts and methods of cooking without pots (incl foil).

I guess you have your meat on a stick or hot stone, egg (with hole), Fish in wet newspaper.

Anymore simple ones?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Green sticks arranged like a rack can be useful, another I've tried is a cable threaded through meat and then rotated next to a fire.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
When I was in the scouts, we knew cabbage leaves can be cooked in, they resist burning, also an egg can be cooked in it's shell over a flame and this is performed by gently tapping a hole in the shell in two places then threading a green stick through the holes and laying over the heat. Also paper can be cooked in, try boiling water in a paper bag. Food can be cooked at the side of the fire as to remember heat is radiated outwards as well as up and rocks around a fire edge can be used as a griddle, all stuff I remember from scouts.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Plank cooking, just soak a hard wood plank, 1" thick, in water overnight, then set it above the embers & cook meat or fish on that! It semi steams/roasts the meat/fish.
Different woods impart different flavours, Apple, Oak & Olive are good that I've tried.

En Papillotte, posh french term for in a bag. But for a fire I use doubled over foil to make an envelope, fill with fish & vegetables & some moisture (Wine/Cider), seal place on the fire & leave for 15-20 mins & you get nice steamed fish. Excellent for whole trout or Salmon, you can even cook a stew this way.

Green wood spit roast, for small-ish joints, you need string that will not burn to truss the joint on & someone has to sit & turn it, but good for scouts as it involves lashings.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Oh, another one, cook a spud in it's skin ala jacket potato wrapped in grass and clay, retrieve, cut in half and hollow out one side as starters, then pour in our foodstuffs into the skin, re wrap and bung back in the fire. Fish, clean it wrap in grass or herbs, seal in clay and lob that in the hot coals, ( am told this works with hedgehogs as well, as the clay removes the spines). Bass especially make a smoky fire with a green stick raft covered in fennel leaves with the fish stuffed with fennel and cook.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you can make a stew in animal skins if you turn them into a bowl first then suspend them over the fire....

earth ovens are easy, but it takes allot of work and resources though...

you can make a rack and hot smoke foods, an awesome way to bring the flavor of the fire into your food....nom nom nom...;)

simple cooking is the best i think and often try not to use a pot, it also saves on the washing up...;)

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
Survival badge?

We did - twists on debarked green Willow sticks. Fish on the same sticks, either a full one with the stick through the mouth or smaller pieces skewered. Baked potatoes in the ashes.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Green sticks arranged like a rack can be useful, another I've tried is a cable threaded through meat and then rotated next to a fire.

Courtesy of N education from Patricks Backwoods Survival School.... (no affiliation.... Just a very happy and educated student...
1f678fe5-a0f1-b021.jpg

Simple solidly built spit roast system that turns a quarter at a time
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
I copied a style Ray Mears did on one of his shows on my first 'bushcraft outing' was pretty chuffed with myself it worked out well.. its an american indian way i think...

<script src='http://img836.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=17699710151018082468421.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

<script src='http://img14.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=26482553418074757613274.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

turned out really well.. its perch or in swedish 'aborra'

Last edited:

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Bacon and eggs done in a scooped out orange:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bacon and eggs cooked in an orange&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.instructables.com%2Fid%2FCook-Egg-and-Bacon-in-an-Orange%2F&ei=fZw3UOSRCqO10QXFh4G4Aw&usg=AFQjCNEr-4u1UPPwS2t31UuXr1OORy781g

Haven't done it myself yet but will do shortly.

Its supposed to be an " Acquired" taste but oyu can substitute the orange for an onion
atb

Craig

as a scout we did egg in an orange, tasted pretty strange I must say, you can also do in in a potato

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE