Condor Mini Duku Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I've got a bit of a fascination with big blades from around the world, and the parang is a cool one. For the woods I make heavy use of an axe with relatively little consideration for big blades, but I thought a big blade might be useful for the desert - lots of tough, spiny plants and not a great deal of wood. What wood you do chop here is likely to not be huge in diameter, but would really require a baton to split which rules out a South American style machete in my book.

So, I bought a Condor mini duku parang. It's got a 10.5" blade (from memory?) and quite a nice leather sheath, but I decided to build a new one. I haven't had it long, but it's impressed me. It chops, but its thinness lets it sink pretty deep. The grind is very high and convexed - it seems plenty tough without being too bulky. The blade shape and handle is superb IMO - a nice compromise of slashy, choppy and slicey. I don't know how else to put it! It doesn't slash like a machete and it doesn't chop like an axe, but so far it seems like a nice compromise for my environment (despite its origins in a very, very different environment).

The sheath I made is from some laminated bamboo boards I had. The laminations aren't perfect, but it's OK. I used a router to remove the bulk of material for the blade from one side and did the rest by hand with a gouge. I wanted to maintain some of the practicality of a traditional parang sheath while adding some modern convenience and security. The sheath is not glued together, allowing it to be taken apart for cleaning (great for a sandy, gritty environment like mine). It is held together with a chicago screw at the tip (easily removed, but the halves can still be swung open without removing it) which also offers the possibility of screwing down a d-ring as a lashing point. At the other end, there's initially a wrap of gorilla tape to hold everything in place. Then goes on some inner tube (the inner tube also holds on the belt loop, which is from an army duffel bag). The inner tube helps to hold the halves together, but also provides a non-slip surface for the 550 cord to grip. The 550 cord turks head knots provide the final level, and an additional wrap of 550 cord is for emergency use. All of the inner tube is cut into 1/2" or so rings, so they can be pulled off individually for firelighting or to attach something else to the sheath, and nothing will suffer for it. There's also a quick link on the belt loop, so it can be easily attached to whatever it needs to be on!

parang.jpg

parang2.jpg

parang3.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with my purchase and mods!

Pete

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think you made a really neat sheath!
Nice touch, using Bamboo.... I guess that would be the material of choice in its homeland!

Re machete: I leve in an area where the Machete is the preferred tool for all chopping of bushes, palms leaves, palm trunks, wooden branches up to around 3-5 inches thick.
Plus opening coconuts.
(Also the preferred weapon of choice in violent disputes I am sorry to say)

I have observed how my gardeners use their machetes. For precise work like opening coconuts they use the edge close to the handle. The middle for most work. The edge furthest away from the handle is used for chopping medium sized (1-2 inches) branches, coconut fronds and such, in one single chop.

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think you made a really neat sheath!
Nice touch, using Bamboo.... I guess that would be the material of choice in its homeland!

Re machete: I leve in an area where the Machete is the preferred tool for all chopping of bushes, palms leaves, palm trunks, wooden branches up to around 3-5 inches thick.
Plus opening coconuts.
(Also the preferred weapon of choice in violent disputes I am sorry to say)

I have observed how my gardeners use their machetes. For precise work like opening coconuts they use the edge close to the handle. The middle for most work. The edge furthest away from the handle is used for chopping medium sized (1-2 inches) branches, coconut fronds and such, in one single chop.

I'm surprised the machete is used for branches that large, thanks for the info! As a matter of curiosity, what is the wood like? Here probably the most common tree is mesquite - finding smaller diameter pieces isn't terribly difficult, but it's very hard and quite twisty. I wouldn't want to try using a machete on it, but stranger things have happened! :) Where there's enough water we do get willow though, and I imagine a machete would do alright for that!

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Condor make some good chop for very little money, the 1075 they use is a tad soft but it sharpens easily , so it's a good compromise.

That looks handy, I am tad more partial to kukri so and goloks but variety is the key to life, nice.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
That's the kind of sheath I'm thinking of doing for mine. Fantastic bit of kit! I really like there village parang, but the smaller one is more long term user friendly.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks y'all :)

Shelley, I agree! I've come to appreciate a bit of softness in big knives. I like kukris also, but chopping just isn't a big enough priority here to justify the weight I don't think.

Amon81, I thought the village parang looks good also but I believe it's a bit weightier - I think the duku mini is a great compromise for my area!

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Lots to like about it. Keen enough to catch the cut on springy stuff and light weight enough to carry on a steep hill and also to have real control.
Keep it away from rocks as I find the edges on these are a bit brittle so chip.

I do like a parang style blade. I've been shouting the praises of the Skrama, funnily enough they are bringing out a one handed small version for just the same reasoning as this.

I like bamboo flooring, its tough stuff.

Nearly forgot to say: looks great.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks y'all :)

Amon81, I thought the village parang looks good also but I believe it's a bit weightier - I think the duku mini is a great compromise for my area!

It is a more bulky tool with a bit bigger blade, the mini has a more traditional shape parang.

I saw the equipe2endure old ex navy guy using it to construct traps, hammering stakes into the ground with the side of the blade. It wont bat an eye at that kind of treatment at all.

I just took a few photos:

Just got the good old electric scales out the kitchen too:

The mini:

And the Village:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE