compression bag for tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
howdi do de

yep well as the title says really. was just messing around with a compression bag for a summer sleeping bag and put my lil tent in it just see if it would and it does:p. is there any good reason why i should not do this? and would it be worth considering using 2 bags(one for outer, one for inner) in the future. of course i will not be keeping pegs and poles in the bag just incase you all were wondering.

thanks dudes

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
A tent doesn't really compress much. Compression bags work with things which are insulated and which trap a lot of air. Neither of which fits a tent's description. If you sit on a normal stuffsack with a tent in it, it won't pop back up (i'd hope :D), where if you do the same with a sleeping bag, you actually get it a lot smaller (but harder to pack if you compress it too much). Some good reading on it which i found to be generally true: http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-pack-a-backpack-and-eliminate-wasted-space/

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's another issue; if you compress the tent then any fixings (cords, zips, line locks, etc.,) are forced against the fabric. Since modern tent fabric is strong, but very lightweight, and relies upon the waterproofing to keep it dry inside. If you compromise that fabric or the waterproofing then you're potentially leaving yourself with a leaky tent.
Otherwise, I use a dry bag to pack mine away :) it keeps it tidy and it keeps any sodden wetness confined until I get home and can air everything off to dry properly.

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It is usually pretty easy to roll your tent around the poles, or just rolled as a sausage, rather than stuff it into a ball. The long shapes are easy to lash on the outside of a pack. Single skin shelters and tarps can be stuffed, and they do compress a little, but you have to get big before compression is useful. I used a six man silnylon tipi and it could benefit from some compression, but the sack it came with was about 20litres and didn't do much to constrain the tent on its own. All the 2-3man shelters I have been around didn't need anything more than rolling.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It is usually pretty easy to roll your tent around the poles,

Is that including puting it back into the manufacturers bag lol ?

I cannot think of a reason not to do it and vango do there tents with a comression bag for poles and all, to make packing easier. The only thing i can think would be if some of the plastic fittings damaged the tent material if you over compressed it? I would reccomend though a bag for life, fold your tent and compress your tent with the stuff in your rucksack into the shape of your rucksack. If in doubt ask the Manufacturer.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I used a compression sack on my Vango Hydra 200 for years with no adverse effects. Almost 20 years on, that tent is still to the good, although it sees very little use these days.

The compression sack just made it easier to load the tent, although it does make it very dense. I packed the pegs and poles separately, which also made it easier to verify that they are packed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE