Competition - Hang a pot!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - I've read a couple of comments recently about "we need more skills based articles". So I guess its time for another competition!

I for one really enjoyed seeing all the skills in "pimp my firesteel" and "build a bucksaw" so here we are - in honour of the new site - the third "Red challenges you to...." Make a cooking rig competition

This one is designed to handicap the talented carpenters (sorry Jon and Weaver :D ) and show a good range of fieldcraft skills

So - here are the rules

1. The purpose is to construct a "field expedient" cooking rig suitable for use over a fire (using field or recycled wood etc.)

2. You need to take photos of your cooking rig and demonstrate it can hold at least a billy can with a pint of water in it. Linked threads showing the construction process are particularly encouraged

3. The competition will run from now until the end of June.

4. The winner will be decided by a poll of the members (or semi final polls and a final poll if more than 10 entries are received)

5. The only allowable tools are knife, axe and folding saw

6. To protect your gardens for urban dwellers, no fire need be lit - just show the rig

7. The price is an "over 18" item so written parental consent will be needed from under 18s (and Lurch who isn't to be trusted with sharp things :) )

If you would like to enter, please enter in the thread below. If you want to contribute something to the prize fund (unused kit, made items etc.) please feel free - all prizes to be sent directly to the winner - no need to do so though.

So - the prize? A rather nicely made replica of an early I.XL folding knife. Frame lock, wood scales, engraved bolsters, clip point and gentle hollow grind. 10" OAL and 4" cutting edge

508245890_030e21acef.jpg

If you want to play, please signal your interest on this thread...

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wouldn't be a competition without you Eric - mind you we'll expect something special with your skills - and no getting your Cegga all dirty by actually using it ;)

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Oh, I must, I must. I'll be using the Cegga mini axe, my damascus knife and my folding saw. Just the stuff I would actually have on me to make a 'field expedient' anything.

Are we to post our entries on this thread?

Eric

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I'm hoping for a few "step by step" guides so, for those who do those, I would ask for a separate thread with a link (although a picture in this thread of the finished product would be good).

Theres a couple of more advanced set ups I've been meaning to try myself, so I may try them and post a few piccs (although no point in winning my own knife so info only really - unless anyone offers something I want at which point I'm going to play too!)

Red

leon-1

Not an entry, but something to get it started.

This is Ahjno next to the tripod and pot hanger that I made last year.
PICT0147.jpg

The sticks that made the uprights came from a shelter that had been taken down the day before by other people on site.

The pot hanger was suspended from linen thread, I had turned into string, from my equipment repair kit.

Like this in detail.

cord6me.jpg

Or there are these type.

kettleonfn9.jpg

this one is a little smokey:eek:

kettleon1yi0.jpg

As I said just a couple to get you started.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Red,

I can't really say no to another one of your competitions can I :) (especially as I didn't win last time...:rolleyes: :D )

But just a clarification here ; by cooking rig do you mean stuff like Wayne's Morrisons drainer stove and other things like that, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

cheers,

woodwalker
Stick is the operative word here! Something made in the field (or the back garden) using available materials (branches etc.). Not so much hobo stoves as pot hangers, fire cranes etc. - similar in fabrication to what Leon has illustrated.

It can be as simple or elaborate as you wish Biddlesby - extra points for illustrating the "step by step" process

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Right heres my entry and mini tutorial :D

first up
gather your wood, you need two Y shaped ones and one long straight ridgepole
Allthreeparts.jpg

push the two Y shaped sticks into the ground like this
DSCF0429.jpg

rest the ridgepole on top, like this
DSCF0430.jpg

now for the hook:D:
get a bit of wood that has a sideshoot coming off it, cut just below this and cut above it leaving enough wood so that it will reach the fire

then you need to batton it to create your notch, you should end up with this
DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0436.jpg

put together, light your fire and you should have this :D
DSCF0438.jpg

leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I was going to stay out of this. Didn't even open the thread until today. Just wanted to see who is playing. But I see that I am directly challenged so I must, and if I win I'll donate the prize unless someone contributes some red antler or a chunk of flint.

So, I'm off to the woods Saturday to see what I can do.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good entry Leon - nice to see it isn't just the "old hands" that can do it!

Lupus - its down to a vote so it can be fancy, simple, ingenious whatever you like!

Weaver - wouldn't be a competition without you and Mr Pickett - no planes allowed though :D

Can't do Antler but I reckon I can find some flintas an alternative prize if you win (postage permitting)

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Weaver - wouldn't be a competition without you and Mr Pickett - no planes allowed though :D

Can't do Antler but I reckon I can find some flint as an alternative prize if you win (postage permitting)

Red

I read the rules Red. :)

I plan to do the whole thing with my Wave. A pocket knife is OK, right? No different than a SAK really.

But what about measuring tools, a micrometer sure would come in handy! But to keep in the spirit of the outdoors I will cut a stick for a gauge. Now to hire a photographer. :confused:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats what DD is for mate :D

Any "pack portable" knife, saw axe type stuff is just fine :D

I'll do a quick rig in the next couple of days too - better stuff to follow naturally!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE