combi tool/dremel metal cutting disk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Evening all

I bought an Aldi combi-tool last week and have been modding my own good old IKEA hobo stove. The HSS discs supplied lasted about two seconds of cutting before disintegrating, so I'm looking for some advice on what folks have used or if anyone can recommend a Dremelisque cutter which won't die within moments.

Thanks folks

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
An ebay search for something like, 'dremmel type diamond cutting discs', should turn up something suitable for your purpose.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I found the Dremel speed clic system and discs are good. They are like mini angle grinder discs and don't shatter and last all the way to the nub. Last a decent enough time for what they are.

Best to get the 10 disc set with clic holder for £14.50 on eBay.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
At that price I think it safe to assume that they're coated; though I've used those ones to cut 304 & 316 stainless with good results. If I needed something more than a single project item I'd look to Dremel themselves, even
though they're very expensive.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The head of a 10" nail is about 3/4" diameter. I've carved a few nail heads with a Dremel as branding irons for wood carvings. The original Dremel cut-off disks are thicker than the after-market ones, cut faster and don't explode as often as the AM ones. I cut down a knife blade tang from 1" wide to 3/4" wide x 3" with the fiber disks that Adze links in Post#2. They cut well and last far longer than the granular ones.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
I used some cheap (about £4) diamond coated disks off ebay a few years back for the exact same purpose and they did the job amazingly well. No need to spend a fortune on them, I got 4 disks and I haven't broken one yet in my sporadic use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE