collecting rain water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
saw this recently and wanted to see what other people think, its not particularly expensive and i think it would go really well with people that use tarps.

I actually spoke to the person that designed it recently and he said that he's just made a basha with this built in! sounds like a fantastic idea....

I have no attachment to this company whatsoever, just trying to gauge its usefulness!

http://www.kaktush2o.co.uk/

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Just sounds like your paying an extortionate amount for a couple of plastic bags! I've made all 3 water collection methods myself from cheap parts with some good success so I dont see the need for buying a special kit!
Interested to see other peoples opinions
ATB
Dan

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Collecting rain water is fairly quick and easy given the right weather but I dont hold much weight in a solar still as a good means to collecting water as it takes a long time to gather a cup fill of water. You would need to be in a pretty bad situation to warrant a still but I guess having the Kaktus would be better than nothing. I would still stick to my Millbank.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i wasnt talking about using it as a solar still....

its to collect water when its raining.

yeah i understand about doing things on the cheap, however if i had a tarp that automatically collected water itself, that would be pretty handy i have to say!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
it supposedly can be used as a transpiration still as well actually....

i work in the jungle and my tarp is diamond shaped, when it pisses it down i just stand bottles under the corners at the mo. fills up nice and quick!

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Yes i know it does transpiration aswell but only by sealing a bag around the leaves of a tree, just like any other bag!
And if you work in that sort of situation, is any of this special kit really neccessary, just put a funnel over your bottle!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
hahah i know i can just use a funnel! pain in the **** to carry around though. they make special ones that clip onto the corners of tarps and then have a screw thread for normal mineral water bottles. so as it rains, bottle fills up, tarp gets stretched tighter from the weight and it prevents pooling.

im not really looking at the idea of the thing on its own, but interegrated into something else i think its got a lot of potential.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I saw this guys stuff at the Outdoor Show last week, they were very well made but seemed to me like a lot of trouble to go to collect some water in a rainy climate.
He also had a prototype full size basha incorporating the same collection system. This was to me a better idea as your entire shelter was now also functioning as a clean water source. I don't know how useful it would be around here but such a basha in the tropics could produce copious amounts of safe drinking water.
Happy trails...torc.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
in a specific climate it could be of use, however as others have stated, a thick durable polly bag would do the same job, and with the addition of some small pipe you could still water too etc etc......

i dont see the need my self, another piece of over rated "kit", probably for people with all the gear, and all that........lol...

chris..........................

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have one of his kits and I will say it is great, the design of the main collector is great, water easily runs into it and is easy to use. With the kit you also get everything to make a full solar still and also transpiration bags and bags for storing your collected water too.

The kit packs small and is light weight easily packs into my bushcraft and my exercise/work kit too.

I got it after seeing in action on the wilderness gathering last year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE