Coleman Big Basin Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I'm just investigating whether we can get a good price on these and whether people are interested, no commitment either way, just getting a feel of viability. Several places are showing these but they are out of stock due to their popularity. The temperature comfort rating is +7 to -13 Celsius. The 0 deg. indicated on the following link is a Fahrenheit extreme (-17 deg C!). There is obviously plenty of room to put another bag inside if you want to sleep in a chest freezer! ;)

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...eme-Weather-Sleeping-Bag/4864983/product.html

[video=youtube;xu9wgCju67g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9wgCju67g[/video]

I've had a play with one of these and they are great for the money. They are luxuriously roomy and very toasty. I must admit I do want my own having handled one. It isn't a backpacking bag but coming into the Winter season it is certainly one that would keep you snug in the woods etc. I'm tempted to even mod one and see if it will entirely sleeve a hammock like a cocoon! If you are a big guy and/or like loads of room then this is a fantastic bag at a bargain price.

Anyway, feedback would be an indicator of whether it is worthwhile.

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have one of these, very good for the price. I'am a bit on the bulky side and I appreciate and need the extra room to get comfy and a good nights kip. There warm, roomy and comfy, downside there absolutely MAHOOSIVE and your not going to be lugging these about let me tell you!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have one of these, very good for the price. I'am a bit on the bulky side and I appreciate and need the extra room to get comfy and a good nights kip. There warm, roomy and comfy, downside there absolutely MAHOOSIVE and your not going to be lugging these about let me tell you!

Quite right, you have to sacrifice compactness for comfort with these but then many of us, at least part of the time, are not doing day hikes to sites. Generally people have lighter more compact bags for carrying a distance but pay the premium, I have a rather nice Ajungilak for that purpose. The advantage of these is that they are good value and can avoid the hammering of use on your premium bag when lightness and compactness are not needed. They are ripstop. These will give you a roomy toasty comfy nights kip whatever the season as long as you aren't miles from the car! If you really want to be really really toasty then your other bag will easily fit inside! I'm rather looking forward to experimenting with one to make a hammock cocoon.

Interested:

1. MNH
2. TeeDee
3. Ogri the Trog

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Also worth looking at the snugpak navigator, at 1.9kg it's lighter than the 3kg coleman, has a better warmth rating (-2c) and is cheaper.

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.snugpak-the-navigator_8211650376021.htm

Sorry but though I appreciate you are making an input from warmer climes this is not actually relevant to the thread and misses the point of this specific Group Buy. The Big Basin is so named for a reason, it is a different animal altogether and the American temp. rating system rates its extreme use much much lower. Suggested Use: 0°F to 20°F (-17.78°C to -6.67°C)!!!

Please keep comments relevant to the GB, save the pros and cons of different bags for the relevant forum area. ;) This bag is not for hiking use but for a toasty nights sleep with enough space to swing a kitten. It is roomy, comfy, warm and really for use from a support vehicle. As I've said I reckon it is big enough to make a hammock cocoon but only time will tell.

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Interested:

1. MNH
2. TeeDee
3. Ogri the Trog
4. AJB
5. Jazz006
6. Mesquite
7. Reddave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Also worth looking at the snugpak navigator.....

That Snugpak is much smaller, the 75cm (29inches) width would just about go over my chest; whereas the Coleman at 90cm (35 inches) would make for a comfortable & warm sleep! Seems like they really are built for us bigger people!

Just saying

Ogri the trog

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry but though I appreciate you are making an input from warmer climes this is not actually relevant to the thread and misses the point of this specific Group Buy. The Big Basin is so named for a reason, it is a different animal altogether and the American temp. rating system rates its extreme use much lower. Please keep comments relevant to the GB, save the pros and cons of different bags for the relevant forum area. ;) This bag is not for hiking use but for a toasty nights sleep with enough space to swing a kitten. It is roomy, comfy, warm and really for use from a support vehicle. As I've said I reckon it is big enough to make a hammock cocoon but only time will tell.

Good points, sorry.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Great for all night fishing and base camping etc. Huge in size when rolled up mind you. What it does it does well but as has been said it is not an all rounder.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Interested:

1. MNH
2. TeeDee
3. Ogri the Trog
4. AJB
5. Jazz006
6. Mesquite
7. Reddave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE